Direct Debit manual switching

Yeah it’s really handy! I’ve not had a payment from a company but I imagine it would be the same if they used a bank transfer, as the screen when clicking on incoming and outgoing bank transfers is the same, including an instance where I made a manual transfer to a company :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got my debit card today and started to change things over.

Pros:

Salary - I work at a University and had to get Monzo added to their system, but it was all added today. Pay next Thursday, so hoping it all goes smoothly!
Sky - Changed online with no issues
Setting up Standing Orders was really easy (and much less of a pain than it is with Nationwide and the calculator thing!)
Gym - Changed easily with no issues.

Negatives:

TV Licence - Wouldn’t accept my card details via the website. Going to call up tomorrow and try over the phone, as I see a few people on here have been able to update their details.
Co-Operative Energy - Wouldn’t accept my Monzo card. Can’t update card details online, must be done over the phone. I’ve been asked to call back tomorrow when someone higher in the payments team is in, so hopefully will get that sorted quickly.

I’ve not had a lot of luck switching direct debits over so far. TV Licence is still a no. EON didn’t recognise the sort code. And neither did my gym. I’m not sure I can be bothered to make any calls at the moment but eventually I would like to switch everything across (and I have a fair few). It’s annoying because we know it’s a real sort code and not Monzo’s fault.

2 Likes

I know the feeling, it is a real hassle :frowning:

The best way to sort it is generally to email BACS as they are quite proactive at chasing people to get it resolved. It’s not a great experience but might help solve the issue.

Bristol Energy had no issues at all :heart_eyes: maybe the big giants just can’t handle simple tasks :joy::rofl:
Of course, MBNA also had no issues.
I’ve submitted the change to American Express (got letters in the post today with the Direct Debit Guarantee, so that’s a good start), Vodafone and Aqua (Newday) - no complaints from anyone so far, as well as to my employer - no complaint so far.

1 Like

Is there any news on when the DD switcher service will be available? I don’t relish the task of changing 27 direct debits :tired_face:

It’s on the roadmap for the next 3-6 months.

A progress update on Direct Debits. I now have six set up, with six successes and zero failures:

1. Bristol Energy - setup over the phone, as per their procedure (phone or paper mandate). Extremely friendly customer service (they always are, if you need a new energy provider, I can’t recommend Bristol Energy enough they’re fantastic), no issue at all, done.
  2. MBNA - online form, done. No problem.
  3. Vodafone - online account didn’t work at all (not DD related), so did over the phone (and got my online account fixed, too).
  4. Newday (Aqua) - online form, done. No problem.
  5. American Express - online form, done. No problem, but sent a paper confirmation letter.
  6. American Express (2nd account) - online form, done. No problem, but sent a paper confirmation letter. Of course, others might also send these letters.

So far I’m 6/6 for Direct Debits being setup without an issue, I’m only counting them once they show up in-app. I have a couple more DDs I might transfer over in the coming weeks (Halifax, Barclaycard), but for now, all seems well. I may not transfer those two, as a lot of current account switching offers require two active direct debits during the transfer, so I might sacrifice my Lloyds account to a switching offer :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Sorry to break it to you but you have way too many credit cards. It’s not a normal amount.

LOL. Count me out of using Monzo until then except when I have to (traveling abroad).

That’s actually a myth. You really can’t have too many, as long as the average age of accounts is high enough, you pay them all off in full every month, and you have no late payments or anything. Let’s see, I have:

UK Issued:
American Express Rewards Credit Card
American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday
Halifax Clarity
Aqua Reward
MBNA Everyday Plus
Barclaycard Freedom Rewards

US Issued:
Discover IT
Bank of America Travel Rewards
American Express Blue Cash Everyday
HSBC Platinum Reward
Citi Forward

That’s 11 credit cards across two countries. All the UK-issued ones have a purpose (well, two of them are to maintain my oldest accounts - the Aqua Reward and Amex Platinum Cashback Everyday - but that’s still a purpose for credit scoring!). I could close a couple of the US-issued ones and probably should (certainly the Citi Forward was great living in the US as a student there, but has little value now and can go for sure. I should do that!).

But you really can’t have too many credit cards in most cases (there are always edge cases if available credit is some ridiculous multiple of your income, but within anything remotely sane, you can’t).

This is also why the recent Guardian articles where people are complaining their bank gave them a higher credit limit are just outright silly in my eyes. They’re worded to imply a higher limit somehow forces people to borrow more than they can pay off. It doesn’t. A limit is the maximum you can borrow, not an amount you’re required to. Higher limits are almost always good for you since they lower your utilisation (you’re borrowing a lower percentage of your total limits).

Because you have to change some Direct Debits by hand? Wow…

Hi all,

I’m a new current account user and decided to manually switch my direct debits.

I switched a couple without issue but encountered a failure setting up a DD for TV licencing online. I then tried over the phone with an agent and twice more it was rejected.

Sort code is obviously 04-00-04…

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks,

Hey @castleclimber!

This is a known issue with TV Licencing unfortunately.

You can find a post on it here: Direct Debit manual switching

Can also confirm after attempting online last night and on the phone today that TV Licencing weren’t able to update my Direct Debit details to my Monzo account. They said they had to take all the details and pass it to a different department who are dealing with it. The agent I spoke to was aware of a “Monzo” problem, apparently they’ve had an email sent around internally about it.

I shall await my return contact and see what happens.

I’m absolutely amazed at how unprepared the UK payments infrastructure is across companies for a new sort code/bank appearing on the scene. Says an awful lot about the system really.

4 Likes

Will this be fixed by CASS, or will certain merchants still get rejected?

Relish Broadband is rejecting Monzo’s sort code. No surprise, they’re awful. The system is a mess, and there’s virtually nothing good to say about the service.

1 Like

This is debatable. I’m not sure how CASS works internally but I believe your old details are simply redirected for a period of time whilst a “message” is relayed every DD to the merchant asking them to update to your new details.

i’m sure someone knows more about this than me!

I’d suspect that if their internal systems are rejecting 04-00-04 then CASS won’t help… they’ll simply not be able to process it.

I’d hope that there would be a builtin process to handle this situation, however (worst case they write to you and say ‘we need different details’ and you’re just in the same boat as manual).

I don’t think this is acceptable under BACS rules. If they accept direct debits, they have to honour a CASS instruction.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree.
Rejecting a BACS CASS message to use different details would not be seen in a good light.

1 Like