Barclays rejecting direct debit from new Monzo sort code

Hi,

I am new to Monzo so have a 04-00-03 sort code. I am trying to switch my Barclays mortage direct debit to come from my Monzo account but Barclays told me they only accept 04-00-04 sort codes from Monzo and there is nothing they can do about it. I have lodged a complaint with Barclays in the hopes they will update their system.

Has anyone else encountered the same issue?

Nearly a year old!

3 Likes

Yep I saw similar articles online and mentioned that in my complaint to Barclays. The article doesnā€™t say how it was resolved so hoping someone can share some more details. Itā€™s strange they havenā€™t seemed to address the issue in all this time.

1 Like

Interestingly, Barclaycard do accept 04-00-03 so it must be dependent on which area of the business you are paying.

1 Like

A painful and incredibly manual solution would be to open an account elsewhere, set up the DD and then CASS to Monzo.

2 Likes

Try calling. If itā€™s simply a form error rejecting it as a valid sort code, customer support agents are almost always able to override it and update it for you.

Had this problem with Chaseā€™s sort code too, and thatā€™s how I got it sorted.

1 Like

I did call them originally and the agent told me my best bet was to lodge a complaint because there was nothing heā€™s able to do until the relevant team resolved the underlying issue

The Barclays website allowed me to switch and I received confirmation. But a month later and the direct debit was never set up

2 Likes

Barclays enjoyed a, in my opinion surprising, decent reputation for technology on this forum a few years back, but my personal experiences have been that anything shiny is the very thinnest veneer over ancient systems that barely cope. I cannot even update my statement preferences as it wonā€™t accept the existing email address I have on file even though that is read only during the process

3 Likes

Their internal customer relationship management system is pretty coolā€¦It looks way better than the 1980s stuff of other banks. Before anyone yabbers on, I didnā€™t work there.

2 Likes

Barclays system was pretty good, nothing compared to monzo bizops though.

Update: Barclays called me this morning and says they donā€™t know why the direct debit was failing and that all Monzo accounts are now recognised since February. They offered Ā£75 as compensation for the inconvenience and said the direct debit should be confirmed tomorrow

2 Likes

To be fair my Barclaycard direct debit has never let me set one up with Monzo. Always get an error, my TSB account works fine :man_shrugging:t2:

People use TSB? :melting_face:

1 Like

I use it for some things, but mostly cashback. I donā€™t mind them, the app works well, clean looking and Iā€™ve never had issues with the few things I use it for.

Had it since LloydsTSB and I was converted into TSB. Never had a problem.

1 Like