✅ Depositing Cash at the Post Office

One is digital and the other isn’t. You’re not comparing like for like.

Have a read of this topic and you’ll see it costs Monzo too much amongst other things. If you’re predominately cash only, having a digital only bank such as Monzo probably isn’t for you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you’re predominately cash only, having a digital only bank such as Monzo probably isn’t for you

Honestly, this argument doesn’t wash. Just because some of us gets paid in case then we don’t deserve a digital bank? We don’t deserve better service?

Monzo is a great bank, but to say ‘oh if you get paid by cash its obviously isn’t for you’ isn’t the way to go, its elitest and Monzos message of ‘wanting everyone to have a bank account’ doesn’t work if you have a cash deposit limit.

2 Likes

That’s not really how it works, you’re are not bound to one Current account. Have a High Street account that you can pay cash into, have a Digital Account you can receive transfers into, make the best use of the services available for your circumstances.

7 Likes

‘Deserve’? No. No one ‘deserves’ anything in this sort of discussion. That’s not how business works.

5 Likes

Deserve isn’t the right word. Monzo cater to certain people, if the bank doesn’t fit your needs it’s not that you don’t deserve a monzo account, it’s that it’s just not for you. There are better banks out there that will fit your needs better.

1 Like

:man_shrugging: That depends on the tone you project onto it when reading I guess.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that PO deposits are part of buisness account plans.

Can somebody confirm if personal accounts would be able to deposit cash via PO in the futre

I’ve heard nothing from Monzo to suggest that that might be true. Yet.

1 Like

This is a must for me, i would like to support my local post office. Don’t like the idea of paying cash into my local co-op cashpoint or whatever it’s called.

It’s PayPoint :wink: :laughing:

They’re in all sorts of stores from little corner ones to big supermarket chains such as Asda :slight_smile:

I hope you don’t mind me asking why you prefer to support your Post Office over your Co-Op? After all they’re both private companies now…

The Post Office is still publicly owned

2 Likes

But it’s increasingly run on a franchise model which rather muddies those ownership waters.

2 Likes

Because the post office is more geared for taking money, their staff are more proffesional and have means to count it. Not sure i completely trust the employees in my local co-op to a) count the money and b) keep transantions private and not tell their mates down the pub who just paid in a load of cash to their account.

Very good point with the staff training.
Post Office are definitely ahead with that.

Sorry I thought they’d gone private a few years ago now, good to know they’re still publicly owned!

1 Like

Royal Mail went private as they were separated from the Post Office a few years before that. I can never remember which way round that it was without checking though!

Post Offices are definitely not all public owned, in fact the contrary, before we see this as a binary choice

Some in the centre of town, the old GPOs for example, may still be “crown” post offices and so state owned, but they only represent a few hundred of the over ten thousand post offices and the number is shrinking

Most of them are owned and run by the exact same sort of people that run a Co-Op - indeed in a lot of cases they run both!

2 Likes

Post office company is a state owned company which has franchising opportunities to let private businesses run post office franchises

1 Like

The Post Office is a private limited company wholly owned by the UK Government with the Secretary Of State For Business, Energy And Industrial Strategy the owner of all its shares.

The Post Office does run a franchise model that private companies can run but the rights to the brand are still owned by the state.

@tom confirmed that Monzo was looking at using the Post Office in the future, but that there would be a fee for this so it would not be free.

Q192 Charlie Elphicke: Mr Blomfield, would you bother doing a deal with the Post Office, or do you just think, frankly, “We’re on the internet. We’re on the telephone. We do not need any kind of branch or physical presence”?

Tom Blomfield: We do not currently have a deal with the Post Office. We are in discussions and there is a possibility that we will, in particular for cash provision. The withdrawal or paying in of cash is declining, but it is not going anywhere in the near term. For the vast majority of other services, our customers prefer to use a mobile app, which is open 24 hours a day.

and

Q246 Chair: Does Monzo charge people who want to put cash in their account? Is there a charge for that?

Tom Blomfield: I apologise; yes, there is. We have two fees that I should mention, both related to cash. Cash is expensive. Depositing cash is a £1 fee using PayPoint. We are in talks with the Post Office and there will also be a small fee for using the Post Office. For withdrawing cash in another country above £200 a month, again because it is expensive, we charge a percentage fee.

Treasury Committee Oral evidence: Consumers’ access to financial services, HC 1642
http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/treasury-committee/consumers-access-to-financial-services/oral/96277.html

5 Likes