✅ Depositing Cash at the Post Office

I get that, but if the concern was Co-Op versus Post Office then the vast majority of people running Post Offices do so on the same basis - private business hiring their own staff

If it is purely the branding that is driving the difference in perception then great for the Post Office, but we are not exactly comparing GCHQ to Big Dave’s Car Lot when it comes to:

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t agree. Post office staff are trusted with tens of thousands of pounds a day, they are subject to criminal records checks and work in a relatively secure place. My dentist probably knows a little about my heart, doesn’t mean I’d trust her to perform heart surgery. Maybe I’m getting old…:frowning:

2 Likes

These are sweeping generalisations.

1 Like

It’s the same people who do both in my local shop. Post office till on the left and other tills on the right behind the same counter. All staff do both

4 Likes

I’m sure that could be true in an ‘actual’ Post Office. Not so sure about a mini Post Office at the back of a shop (run by the same family). Not at all sure where the post office is run from the shop counter with everything else.

Hmm, I’m with Lloyds and I see the money in my account and spendable instantly.
Unless things have changed since your post but it’s been this way as long as I can remember. :thinking:

My friend from Poland said every ATM there lets you deposit. We seem to be really behind in the times in the UK. :confused:
But hey, at least we’re not using chip&signature and magstripe like the USA! :grin::joy:

3 Likes

We have mostly free ATM withdrawals which isnt the case across a lot of Europe. And those fees can be quite steep. So paying £1 to use paypoint doesnt seem excessive in comparison.

I’ve never had a bank account that has forced me to pay ATM fees to withdraw in my life. Equally, until Monzo, I have never had a bank force me to pay to deposit. Monzo is the first, and I will never use the £1 deposit as all my other bank accounts offer it for free. The UK banking market isn’t the European banking market and if Monzo follow the European model in other ways to generate fees, then I will quickly leave.

4 Likes

Or Apple Pay and signature, like in Spain.

3 Likes

Apple Pay and signature lol what?!!

1 Like

Exactly. It’s happened a few times when buying goods over about €25. They never check the signature (or even look at it), just put the slip in the till.

When people force me to sign for stuff these days I just draw a big X to piss them off

1 Like

I can’t recall the last time I used my name as a signature. It’s just a squiggly line. It seems to keep everyone happy. :smiley:

1 Like

Why can’t you withdraw money from the post office counter? I went to the post office counter and asked to withdraw the odd £26.50 , put my card in to the terminal and not even recognised, the cashier tried swiping the card and card was rejected, why ? My local post office counter is the nearest place that i usually withdraw money from, the plan was to use my monzo account to keep payments from my small business separate but whats the point if the only way to withdraw the money is to transfer it into my usual bank account, is withdrawing at post office going to be resolved or is this a permanent fixture im stuck with,

Could you not use an ATM?

5 Likes

Never say never, but use of Monzo at the Post Office is only at the discussion stage

When it does arrive it seems pretty certain that it will not be free at the point of service as with PayPoint

Now for me that is of no great concern, but your use of the account is really stymied by that

I use My post office counter as an atm as the real atm is a 1 mile walk, so to get my money out of my monzo account at the post office i have to transfer the money to my santander account or walk a mile to the atm, i just might as well have my payments going into my santander account again

Is they not an atm outside the post office? Like all other post offices. My card works fine at the post office, I’ve never had a problem and it always recognises my card.

1 Like