Depositing Cash at the Post Office

why do you need cash? You make it sound like a regular thing I probably do it twice a year.

It is simply because Monzo doesn’t offer, and has never said they offer, banking services at the Post Office.

You should always check https://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-banking-services to see if your bank works at the Post Office.

7 Likes

All post offices?

Think this may be a sweeping statement?

Lots of post offices don’t have ATMs.

Funnily enough I was going to be writing a post about the post office, I went into my local post office the other day to send a parcel and while there I wanted to buy a birthday card, what I found strange was that they could only charge my parcel to Monzo and could not sell me the birthday card, all very strange I thought, fortunately I live in a small town so she let me take the card and I’ve to pop in and pay for the birthday card when I have cash, but all very strange I thought that they could accept payment for 1 thing but not the other…

Ps. So yeah, my 6 most local post offices do not have an ATM outside.

What people assume when they reply to questions like these, is that everyone lives near a city centre or built up area where it’s easy to get cash.

In some rural areas all we have is a post office. No bank branches, no ATMs.
It would be a massive help to be able to withdraw at the post office counter. Depositing would be an added bonus.

The other option is cash back at a shop, but they are often reluctant to give out cash as they don’t always have much in the tills.

I never realised I couldn’t withdraw at the post office, otherwise in my situation I wouldn’t have gone full Monzo. Will probably have to switch back soon unfortunately.

3 Likes

Not much chance of withdrawing. I assume you have a Paypoint somewhat local to pay in though.

Monzo make it pretty clear when you withdraw (or at least they did the only time I ever did) that withdrawing money isn’t their bag, they really want everything to be digital. This obviously isn’t going to suit everyone.

If it’s a deal-breaker and if you only have a PO nearby you might want to try Starling who also score highly for their app.

If it’s not a deal breaker it might be worth keeping an eye on the business banking threads - they’re likely going to need a better way to pay in money then Paypoint, so PO would be an obvious choice.

1 Like

I honestly thought the post office accepted all major cards for cash withdrawal over the counter as it’s just a chip and pin it would appear not though (learn something new everyday).

I read somewhere (I think) that Monzo would have to add something to the cards for them to work with the PO.

I think it’s one of the reasons Starling changed there’s.

1 Like

This is not the case my local post office has no atm outside and there are at least 4 others in the local area that don’t have atm’s.

1 Like

To second this my two local POs do not have ATMs outside. They do have the rip off systems inside that charge you £3.95 for a withdrawal.

No paypoint anywhere near no.
I’m looking an hour away including a ferry journey and 25mile drive from an ATM.
Understand it probably won’t happen as doesn’t fit in with the whole Monzo idea. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t let them know we’d like it to.

3 Likes

Gotta admit, begs the question why you made the switch and didn’t just open a new Monzo whilst leaving your old account open?!

Regardless - make sure you cast your vote for the feature with everyone else here:

Just believed any debit card could withdraw at a post office. That’s the only thing I dislike about it, and found that out the hard way. I saw no other reason to be against Monzo so not sure what you mean by that. I have no branch banks with easy access so why go with any of them either?
Since you ask I was switching away from B (clydesdale) after far too many phone calls trying to get simple issues fixed.

2 Likes

The post office thing apparently would need to change the cards but before they even get that far Monzo and the PO would need to agree a contract to provide banking services at PO counters.

Given that the PO (last I heard) were seeking to renegotiate their existing banking contracts, I don’t think this would be a cheap option. Thus the chances are good that Monzo would pass on any costs to the customer.

1 Like

Couldn’t you have just paid on your card, whatever you needed the cash for?

As an alternative, meaning you get to keep Monzo, would a Curve card work? :thinking:

Takes us back to the remote/rural community thing. I’m my experience a place that only has a PO will have little to no places where you can pay on card so cash is still essential. And the PO is used for most other banking services especially when you remember people in these communities are often of the older generation as well and aren’t as tech savvy.

Most of what you say is probably correct, but here the shops do have card machines, very few places don’t, so cash is still handy but wouldn’t say essential.
In this case i just needed cash to pay for my work lunch for the week. No other way to pay that.
If it can’t be done fair enough and i will have to either look around or make do with how it is. Its my problem for sure, would just be good if it wasn’t a problem!
Dont get why so many people are against it though, might not benefit everyone but doesn’t do any harm either.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone who’s against the idea but I agree that some try and argue that the current facilities are fine for everyone. That’s a little over the top for my taste too.

If something would make life easier than ask for it!

1 Like

I’m all for getting the PO on side.
It would mean monzo customers had somewhere to pay in cash/ cheques easily to their account and provides a cash withdrawal system for those with no alternative.
And another bonus is it will help keep the post office open

1 Like

Agreed, we can only request and hope it can be done! If there are fees so be it, its something i’d personally be happy to pay for the convenience.

3 Likes