Debit card designs

It is the brand. People are asking to change the brand. That is what is silly.

I’m not saying I love (or do not love) the card colour. I accept that it is what stands out about Monzo.

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming! :grin:

Just to confirm are there any plans going forward for other colour options?

I imagine that will come for the paid plans just like last time.

1 Like

I for hope they do offer more colours even if it’s something I have to pay for. I kept my plus account card after I downgraded and didn’t switch back to a hot coral card.

Companies can have more than one brand identity.

1 Like

They can if they want to. Monzo might not want to.

More practically, running multiple types of card stock ties up capital that they haven’t necessarily got available at this point in time.

In fairness, the pain in dealing with multiple card stock (and complexity of the card ordering service in general) has precipitated plans to rewrite our entire card ordering service. I doubt any of this will actually boil down to many (if any) customer facing changes, but it is interesting nonetheless.

2 Likes

Yes, I was going to say I was wondering what people were on about since my shiny new card that I just received a couple weeks ago is manufactured by Allpay:

but I’m American.

…and joompay offering hot coral (www.joompay.com)

3 Likes

Hot coral is the brand colour of the card.

If you don’t like it THAT MUCH why get a Monzo account?

Once again, Monzo need to make a profit, so if they choose to offer different colours at cost to the customer (wholly I would hope!) then fine but I’ll be asking why this is even a topic given how many other things Monzo could and should focus on first and foremost. If ‘card colour/design’ comes under a Marketing budget, then I’m hoping they are holding back that budget so they can push their new Premium account when it launches.

For a bank the size of Monzo (not big enough yet) I can’t see how this is even a discussion.

3 Likes

Maybe you’d also like the Lakers to play in green?

It’s branding and its very important. Just because you’re scared that it looks a bit pink, isn’t worth the extra effort to supply more colours.

1 Like

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!! shudder I have too many Boston friends that would find this hilarious!

I have to say that joompay looks far better than Monzo.

1 Like

The beauty of having so little information to show is its much easier to make it extra pretty! New challengers with less features will always be able to look more stylish. The real challenge in design is a feature heavy app.

4 Likes

Sure but you can still have good design and UI with lots of information and features, just requires a bit more thought.

They should have thought a bit more about what features people interact on a daily basic in a simple interface, and the 5% of other features that are once in a blue moon tucked neatly away. Not level pegging in importance.

The new version, which isn’t that new anymore, is a dog’s dinner.

The help / chat system has been completely missed in the redevelop (apart from the out of place ? Icon). The Payments section is a mismash of fonts and capitals and wasted space. Every else cramed into “Home” :house: this isn’t a website.

And yep I’m still annoyed they changed the car icon for transport. Although not many would have spotted as they half arsed that change.

Of course they have. Monzo will have all the data on how people respond to and use the app. Just because it doesn’t suit you, doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

1 Like

It isn’t really about suiting me, although it will be personal preference on what looks nice. Things like icon inconsistencies and mixing font sizes never lead to a nice design. As an example of the above you have capital tabs, the word current account is redundant, the nearby icon is out of place, the fact that the Turn on contacts takes up a freaking massive amount of space when I don’t want it turned on, I can’t even see Recent contacts without scrolling.

I’m talking about interface changes that apply to the majority of customers. It’s a basic rule in UX that you don’t mix concerns or have some used frequently with equal access and hierarchy to something rarely used / if at all.

They seem to be making these mistakes all over the place.

The most recent being the ridiculous added step when changing a transaction category. You should never have to tick and then press done. There’s zero need to introduce the done button, it just adds an unnecessary step when changing categories is a fairly common task.

2 Likes

Unless they’re prepping for allowing multiple category selection.
If they’re not then I agree, it’s bad design to add an extra step.

One Monzo developer has already comment in the forum that they thought the Android version did that already so that speaks a lot. I dont think it was a parity issue either where iOS had the Done button before and Android didn’t. Do get me started on the inconsistencies.

This shit annoys me the most where they played ball with a Twitter eco warrior to change the transport icon. So we now have a weird mix.

Rule #1 don’t let Twitter dictate what your app looks like.

Sorry back to Debit card designs…

4 Likes

Monzo is actually a somewhat common family name within the South Philly italian community! One of my teachers was named Monzo, someone in my office has that last name, and one of my extra Monzo cards is in the hands of someone actually named Monzo.

4 Likes

dusted off my monzo monzo community account just to share this absolute cursed unit of a card with y’all:

4 Likes