Debit card designs

Is this going to be a thing?

In fear of repeating myself (I don’t actually fear it tbh) I sincerely hope that Monzo does not go down this route for a long time so that, when they do, it’s a nice add-on to a well established, profitable bank offering. I, for one, would prefer Monzo to stick around long enough for this to happen, but that means making profits, and wasting time/money on the card designs surely cannot be a priority. The ‘Hot Coral’ does the job of marketing itself, and the only time we’ve been able to get different colours was by ‘paying’ for them, although even them I’m pretty sure that was a loss leader to get people into Plus…

And now I’ll shut up again! :smiley:

4 Likes

Sorry, “personalized” as in with names. US cards currently have “Monzo Card” or “Monzo Beta” where your name would normally be. Once that changes, you have two hot coral cards that would look the same from the front (the back would of course have different customer service phone numbers, and UK cards have thicker magstripes than US cards), so a visual indicator of some sort would be nice.

3 Likes

@gmclean I remember reading this thread…

Whist Beta or Card is a surname in the states, and Monzo is Italian so could have been some settlers that brought that over.

I wondered though how many people are called Monzo as a first name :thinking:

I wonder if there is one person on this planet called “Monzo Beta” or “Monzo Card”.

2 Likes

Ahhh thanks for explaining. that makes perfect sense then.

Two, in the UK.

4 Likes

I stand corrected. :smile: Maybe I was thinking four in total.

With all the IDEMIA salmon complaints wouldn’t it better to sack them off and find another supplier?

Edit:

Hang on TAG, IDEMIA, allpay thats three? Are allpay no longer a supplier?

None of the cards we ship today are manufactured by Allpay (If you have a really old card, you might find it was manufactured by TCT also. We haven’t used them for a long time, though.).

We maintain two suppliers for contingencies (for example, one of them had internet connectivity issues last week and was unable to take orders, so we rerouted orders to the other)

IDEMIA’s coral is a fairly good match for what Allpay used to do; Nitecrest are just really good at getting a super-bright card. I wouldn’t expect that if we brought on a new manufacturer they’d be substantially better - at least straight out of the gate.

That all said we have some samples of much hotter coral cards from IDEMIA, and so you should see much brighter cards from them when current stocks are depleted.

N.B. We have different suppliers for the US; this discussion only applies to the UK

6 Likes

This is any prepaid card, or a really, really old current account card :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just checked and mine is allpay. Its so hot coral you need :dark_sunglasses: to look directly at it.

:monzocard: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Very retro :wink: You might be one of the people that will be getting automated replacements as their cards naturally expire!

2 Likes

I think the mag strip says it all. Nice to know I have a museum piece. I think my first may have been TCT. I assume this was a March 2018 batch.

2 Likes

I think I beat you :wink:

Pretty sure mines only lasted so long because of Apple Pay

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue: Goes to find first card…

Yeah I’ve Google Paided it for most of its life so it shouldn’t be that bad just seeing ATMs and PAPs.

Yh, the only time I can think of where I get it out my wallet is Supermarket shops and Pay@Pump.

I use to get through cards so fast before Apple Pay, this will be the first one I think I’ve ever had that has lasted till it’s expiry

I think cards with pictures on are so tacky.

Monzo should be hot coral for everyone and then with something added like the investor ones etc.

3 Likes

*Unless it’s Terry Crews

11 Likes

I don’t agree, not everyone wants a hot coral. A lot of people have posted including myself wanting other choices. I also wouldn’t call it hot coral, mine looks more like salmon

As I said in a previous post:

2 Likes

The colour issue should be resolved going forward :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Bit of silly comment really. People haven’t asked for the name to be changed but just simply to have a choice of colour options on the card. I don’t feel that is unreasonable, not everyone is a fan of the hot coral.

1 Like