Current Account Investor Cards

Which ones, standard white core or coral core?

both the standard white core and coral core

Investor cards are expected to be ready in early December! :blush:

10 Likes

appreciate the info @simonb

would it be ok to delay the CA upgrade till the investor card is ready?

1 Like

What exactly is different in the chip configuration? And why isn’t it something that can be added by issuer script?

I just can’t think of anything that could really cause acceptance issues in the chip configuration. All British cards support DDA/CDA, offline PIN, etc.

Could be no offline authorisation? But that doesn’t really matter anymore as virtually every terminal can go online.

1 Like

Contactless magstripe for the US is a big one that can’t be added to the very first generation of cards. Offline capabilities are also severely limited on those cards when compared to the latest generation. Additionally, we made some other changes to improve compatibility around the world that can’t be updated by issuer scripts. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s worth noting that these very early cards are from a different manufacturer and run different software to the latest generation too. :eyes:

5 Likes

Thanks so much for the clarification. I’m very interested in learning more about this stuff so I have a few questions:

1. You say contactless magstripe mode can’t be added later, but it was added to the US Costco Visa card issued by Citibank (Costco is Visa in the US, not Amex like here). Is this because the underlying software always supported it and it just needed enabled?
  2. Curious about what the other changes might be, if there are any details you’re allowed to share.
  3. Offline capabilities - obviously all current cards (UK market) support CDA/DDA. Do you mean the new ones actually can support offline authorisation, not just authentication? If so, I find that quite interesting (simply that it’s interesting to add at a time it’s becoming less and less important).
  4. Ah, yes, software :slight_smile:

I totally understand if any of these details are confidential, thank you Monzo for being as awesomely open as you already are!

3 Likes

Hi guys,

I’ve just received my Monzo Debit Card - very excited!

I was under the impression that investors would get a slightly different card than the rest - possibly with the “INVESTOR” tag under the Monzo card. Is that still the case?

Cheers,
Mo

2 Likes

Oh cool - good decision on their part :slight_smile:

Hi there, just got my new debit card and current account but no investor debit card like it was advertised, we are not getting them anymore?

They won’t exist until December. @RichardR sums it up quite nicely two posts above yours in this thread.

2 Likes

Sorry, this is what happens when stupidity wins us over… Ignore my question…

1 Like

Will these cards have the coral core? :relieved:

They will indeed!

I’ll try find the reference in a moment

1 Like

It’s early December now? :joy::joy::joy::wink::wink:

Unfortunately there has been a delay on the Investor cards :frowning:

We expect to have them ready to ship before Xmas.

2 Likes

:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream: those beloved words :unamused::weary::weary:, if you are allowed to discuss, why has there been another delay?

No problem! There’s rarely anything that we can’t discuss :grinning:

Please bear in mind that whilst I maintain a general overview of what’s happening across most of the company, I may not be able to provide detailed specifics due to not being in attendance at the most recent wider discussions on this issue.

As I understand it, the delay is due to the amount of engineering work still needing to be done on our back-end systems in order for Investors to be able to order themselves an Investor card. Essentially the flow needs be as such that a notification will go out that the cards are ready, and then the user can order one for themselves within the app - ie, a fully automated process that won’t require any assistance from Customer Support or anything like that.

Unfortunately, the migration process of moving all users from prepaid to current accounts is a pretty mammoth task, as you might expect - and a bit more development time than we had anticipated was eaten up by working our hardest to ensure this has been a smooth process for everyone - this led to other projects not being completed when we hoped they would be.

10 Likes

so they get lost in the busy xmas post (more mail items are lost at this time of year than any other) surely better now to wait until the new year?