I closed my Aqua Reward card today for a few reasons:
- It wasn’t my oldest UK card (okay, not a reason to close, but it was a reason to not worry about closing), my Amex platinum cashback is.
- It was available credit - thus, risk, that I really saw no use for whatsoever.
- Application Usage Control used to prohibit contactless overseas (yes, technically this just forces it online which cross-border contactless will do anyway, but the result was always an online decline). A huge pain in countries where they try to tap first like HK.
- No sign of Android Pay coming (granted, I just opened a Virgin card with the same issue).
- Bad experience with a random 1p credit then a random 1p charge the next month, could have easily gone very wrong if I wasn’t watching closely.
I have plenty of no foreign transaction fee Mastercards (Monzo, Halifax Clarity, Virgin Money Travel), with another hopefully on its way (Tandem, if I get accepted); and 0.5% isn’t worth the hassle of using Aqua. So, bye.
Now, why post about it? Because of something I found very odd… there was no ‘save’ effort made at all. Just okay, it’s closed, done. Is this typical?