CitizenCard

Hi. I am just wondering if it would be possible to use my citizencard as ID. This displays a picture which would match up with video verification. It displays my name and date of birth.

I find it really unfair that this isn’t available already. Not everyone in the UK drives so doesn’t have a Driving licence
Not everyone can afford a passport let alone go abroad.
Also the UK do not have a national card anymore so why you can use that as ID instead of Citizencard ID is beyond me.
It even says on the back of the card
’ The UK home office, national police chiefs Council and the Security industry Authority recognise this card the bearing Proof Of Age Standards Scheme Hologram as a Valid Form Of ID.

Thanks

1 Like
1 Like

You don’t need to drive to have a provisional license.

7 Likes

You don’t even have to meet the legal criteria to be able to get one, I can’t see the minimum distance required to be able to legally drive, but said I could to get one to use purely as a form of ID

Cost was £25 and it lasts 10 years

Why should I get a provisional just for ID when I already have ID that I’ve paid for that should be accepted.

2 Likes

You bought an ID that isn’t accepted everywhere, a driving license is accepted everywhere.

They only last 3 years now anyway. A driving license is 10 years.

6 Likes

Does any bank accept citizencard?

2 Likes

I’ve never understood the Citizencard if you can get a drivers licence. I have never driven but always had a drivers licence for ID purposes. Lasts longer and is pretty much accepted anywhere (with a few exceptions). Also useful for proof of address as well. Win win.

5 Likes

It’s not a government official ID though, it’s a card scheme. a provisional license is official ID and HAS to be accepted

Just like Post Office ID, the post office don’t even accept it for money exchange, I had to have official ID

No, Phone shops don’t either, e.g if you go in to get a SIM card, they’ll ask for an OFFICIAL form of ID

2 Likes

Because you want a Monzo account and Monzo won’t accept your current ID.

8 Likes

The card is only a viable option for buying drinks over the age limit, only works in certain stores.

Opening a current bank account, SIM or phone contract you’d need official ID, whether that’s a provisional licence or passport. Pretty much any legal documentation you’d need official ID for.

Possibly even if you’re starting a new job, you’d require official ID, don’t think employers accept CitizenCard, although I may be wrong here.

1 Like

Until you need to update your address and pay a replacement fee. :roll_eyes:

No no for real though, the provisional licence is a win win for every reason possible.

1 Like

Is there a point in reviving ancient threads and replying to every long forgotten post? Do you need Level 3 this badly?

2 Likes

@Revels is correct on this and this is through my personal experience.

I’ve used this card in my local convenience stores and the pub as its accepted here.

I don’t bother with it if it’s to open a new current account, open a new phone or sim only contract. Or if I’m starting a new job and I get asked for ID, I just get official ID out as well.

CitizenCard is great for personal usage but the second big caveat is that it only lasts 3 years like you’d mentioned.

I’ve seen other threads replied too from over 6 months ago, and on other social media platforms too to be fair.

I just personally wouldn’t even bother with the citizencard at all - I use my provisional - Technically, I lied to get it, but I’m not going to be driving, so it’s all good

1 Like

I’m going to confess and say the same thing, although I feel I’d be able to read a vehicle licence plate from the specified range with glasses on and my eye sight is not amazing.

I do use the card in conjunction with my provisional and carrying is good in case the CitizenCard isn’t accepted at a store I’m not familiar with.

1 Like

There’s no fee for changing your address.

1 Like

Well, that’s IF they even recognise the license. I tried and they apparently don’t recognise mine :smiley: