đŸ”„ Cheque Deposits + Monzo Office + Virtual Support + Sad Story - Corona Emergency đŸ”„

Well put, this is what upset me when I worked for a property management company, people don’t know what their rights are , and landlords will just settle out of court should they actually get sued for a few hundred pounds.

2 Likes

:laughing: If only! Monzo (like most banks) will clear a cheque within 4 days once it’s arrived. They allow 10 days for the freepost to arrive, maybe the freepost is only delivered periodically or something to make it so slow. Says all this on their Paying in Cheques support page.

1 Like

The digital cheque imaging system works on the basis of T+1 meaning cheques are cleared the next working day regardless of who you use, Lloyds, Starling, HSBC etc.

Of course you need to offer cheque imaging otherwise it takes up to 6 working days once a cheque has been paid in aka Monzo (plus time for them to receive the cheque and process it)

I fully get your annoyance, but also, have to call out your utter lack of sympathy for anything at all given the current situation during a global pandemic.

Monzo have stated in support documents that you can’t hand them in at the office, and all the help documents relate to having to post it in.

Without being rude (which I probably will be anyway), it’s a very entitled view to think that you should be exempt from the rules that exist to be able to deliver your own cheque to Monzo. If everyone thought like that, Monzo would end up just being like a normal branch.

If the cheque was that important, your friend should have at the first opportunity just opened an account that processes cheques quicker.

5 Likes

Hmm yeh I would have edited your post just a tad, but that’s okay. Follow the thread above, you can indeed drop off cheques, as descriped on their support page, this is suspended as noted on their covid FAQ which someone kindly posted in this thread. Monzo support themselves did not say this, but rather that Monzo would not accept hand delivered post vs post from a postal worker, which was the cause of the frustration. I didn’t ask for any exceptions, or complain that I am not special. All I did was openly share my experience that Monzo has lost that “can do” support that they had at the start, and meanwhile, a competitor has come along and built something better. But you’re welcome to your own opinion.

You’re correct I don’t have any sympathy for them, but I do after 5 years have high expectations. Their a multi-million pound bank that has been operating for years, they are not on the brink of homelessness, the individual support was their original CSP. So yeh, I would rather sympathise with a human being who needs help vs a bank in a flash corporate office just playing weasel words in support.

After years of operating, they still couldn’t process a cheque. NatWest could. Starling could. But Monzo, after years, have still failed to deliver such a basic function. What have they done? A premium account that gives me discount on Patch Plants? :laughing:

6 Likes

Yea, I did follow the thread, didn’t that document also state that it was their old address that you’re meant to drop them off at?

Incidentally in the app, when you go to Add Money → Cheque, there’s no indication that you can pay it in at the office or anything.

Not sure they have, they’ve modified their flexibility temporarily when people are meant to be social distancing, and while they’re undergoing an office move. The reason for allowing a postman to drop off post, and not other people, is down to social distancing, and restricting exposure to different people.

Well, they can process them, with their 3rd party. They’ve just taken the decision to not focus on enabling cheque support, yea, it’s annoying. But with you being with them for 5 years, you know that they’ve not got cheque imaging, so you should have said this to your mate early on. :slight_smile:

I don’t think getting frustrated at being told they won’t accept hand delivered post is very fair, but then again, maybe I’m more laid back about things to go post about being annoyed on the forum :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

You’ve missed the point, maybe I wasn’t clear. Monzo not accepting a hand delivered enveloped cheque (which they do) vs only accepting ones delivered via post is what brought a head to this issue. I’m not here to ramble about that, but it keeps getting brought up as the core issue.

I shared that in my opinion after reflecting of 5+ years banking with them, that the effort and service support made now, as opposed to what they used to make years ago, has significantly diminished. And to express my sadness that a lack of innovation from Monzo has led competitors to excel in their service offering.

The unhelpful support I’ve received would NEVER have happened with the original team. That’s all. :wave:

8 Likes

Interesting thread, and thanks for restating your point, I think it got lost along the way.

What’s clear is that Monzo have probably lost a customer to Starling here. Had the original response been clear about the suspension of the ability to take cheques to the office as a result of the office move then the customer would still have had to open another account but their perception of Monzo may have not been fouled.

Edit: Forgot a whole paragraph.

I don’t think this event is sufficient evidence to show that Monzo on the whole have any less care for their customer than they used to. They are still the company who would send some COps with replacement cards to a festival, in my view. What has changed is the feeling of intimacy in interactions with customers just be virtue of having thousands of employees, not everyone sat in one office, meaning not everyone at Monzo is aware of everything all of the time and operational processes are more rigid; this is unavoidable with growth.

You don’t know any of that for certain.

When someone says something, you can just assume it’s their opinion. You know, because they’re saying it. :+1:

In conversation you don’t need to preface every claim with “This is only my opinion
”.

6 Likes

Very true!

1 Like

Must have missed Mondo existing before Starling. Nice of Mondo to take in Tom

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’m similar in that I’ve been with Monzo (then Mondo) since 2016 and have also noticed this change in the way things are done and the attitude shift. I recently received a cheque for something. It was only £50 but with everything that’s going on, £50 is a lot of money to me! The only option I had to pay it in to Monzo was to post it and wait up to 3 WEEKS (!!!) for it to land in my account.

In contrast, I also have a Starling account that I opened as a backup when going abroad last year. I used their app to take pictures of the cheque and the money was in my account the next day - less than 24 hours later! I’m slowly starting to use Starling for more and more things to be honest.

Monzo is not the same bank that I knew and loved. They were quite ahead of everyone else with innovations back then, but they seem to have fallen behind now on a lot of things, or even charge a fee for things that competitors give as part of their standard service. It’s sad really.

6 Likes

Wow. That’s incredibly unhelpful! Attitude like that is what puts a lot of people off posting here tbh.

2 Likes

I think it is a fair point. He knew that cheques have to be mailed in but it is now a Muti-day rant because he tried to do something he knew he couldn’t do. If a friend asks me ‘can I pay a cheque into Monzo’ the answer would be ‘yes but it will take a couple of weeks’. It doesn’t mean that I think that is OK, but it is the reality.

5 Likes

To be clear. When I recommended Monzo I know they don’t truly support a cheque workflow, but who cares because who uses cheques, am I right?!

But I failed to consider, that 6 months after giving my recommendation to use monzo, we’d be in a pandemic, everything would be closed, the first class support I know would no longer be available, my friend would loose his job and be unemployed for months, and this first job he was lucky to find, would unfortunately pay him by cheque, and this money would make the difference between him becoming homeless, because it won’t be accepted unless sent via Royal Mail.

I’m such an idiot I didn’t consider this after 5 years when asked if I would recommend Monzo.

1 Like

But that is just a paragraph of emotive language. You said you are user #243. Do you think things they did when there were under 500 users still apply when there are over four million?

I certainly would not call you an idiot - but perhaps you just didn’t consider things might be different for a fully regulated bank with 4 million users vs a prepaid card with under 500?

1 Like

This is a true, to reword it, you’re asking me if the quality of a product should suffer because they sell more of them. If I sell 500 phones, can I give you a poorer quality one because I sold 4 million?

I believe, with a bank and after years and years, the quality should have improved, not regressed. Starling/NatWest aren’t affected by this, but Monzo can’t process a cheque, or show basic compassion at a support level?

If a bank is established “to be different” and disrupt banking, but in the process of growth, just becomes like all the others (and possibly worse), then what’s the point?

It’s a bit lost in the thread but the views of myself and of a few other long term main account holders is that the Monzo 2015 is NOT the same as Monzo 2020, and that’s not good. That magic has certainly been lost in the growth, for better or worse.

4 Likes

arguably the quality of the offering has improved though , one particular aspect of it for you and your friend during a pandemic hasn’t , I remember the outages when it was prepaid , I remember not having quite a few services that are offered now 
pots , round ups, payment from pots , get paid early to name a few 
thats an improvement isn’t it from the 2015 Monzo ?

I do really wonder if Starling would have bothered racing to cheque imaging if it hadn’t been repeatedly asked for by a few on the Monzo community forum 
hmmmm dunno, either way it is undoubtable that the likes of Monzo and Starling have disrupted the banking industry for the good of customers

4 Likes

Ok, this is just going round in circles now so it’s probably time to call it a day. Different people have different options and that’s fine.

I tend to think that there’s loads of assumptions being posted as fact here which isn’t helping the discussion go anywhere.

10 Likes