Charged twice for clothing

I’m going to guess, sadly, they do this to mitigate high amounts of fraud.

1 Like

Because as you say, it might go back to Nike

3 Likes

As you say, Nike May dispute it and the money may go back to them. It’s to avoid the money unexpectedly leaving your account again within that timeframe.

1 Like

Look at my post here about the same issue: Double charged for transactions

2 Likes

Exactly the same thing happened to my son on the day of Nike shipping the trainers to him, taking him overdrawn without an overdraft. Made sure first thing he did was get his account out of overdraft then got him to contact Monzo with screenshots of purchase to resolve this.

Spent £1639 with Apple online 2 weeks ago as laptop and £229 for AppleCare, only for Apple to charge me £229 again on the day of shipping and then reduce the original £1639 down by £229 a few days later (and I’ve still not received the laptop!) causing me an issue as I was ‘missing’ £229 and having to spend an hour talking to them to try and sort this out, but nothing they can do… it will sort itself out in a few days automatically they said. So whilst it did finally sort itself out I couldn’t reall ask Monzo for help as they were both valid transcations from Apple, its just they adjusted the original value down between presentation and settlement.

Nike are processing the transactions incorrectly and creating a mismatched presentment.

They’re authorising the full amount of the order, then when they ship individual items they’re issuing a second charge (but using a different auth code) without reversing the initial auth.

If you get in touch with chat then we can reverse the initial charge in most cases. You’ll just need to make sure you keep the balance in your account as they’ll continue to charge you as more items ship.

5 Likes

Exactly what my son had to do, but I was more concerned with him going overdrawn when he doesn’t have an agreement with yourselves, so that was the first thing to sort… and then Monzo sorted out the reversal of the original payment when given the information… Monzo handled this very well and it’s totally Nike at fault

2 Likes

As long as the transaction is showing as pending you won’t be charged overdraft fees.

2 Likes

Are there specific scenarios in which this happens? It can’t possibly be all Nike transactions as I’m sure there would be much more widespread complaints about the practice. As a single datapoint, it has never happened with transactions from their UK online store to me.

I ordered from Nike a couple of days ago and it hasn’t done it to me.

It seems to only be when they ship part of the order, rather than all in one go from what I’ve seen.

2 Likes

Ahh possibly so, I don’t think I have ever had an order split into multiple packages :slight_smile:

This is incorrect. My girlfriend was charged twice by H&M a week apart for the same amount and Monzo could not have been more helpful.

They credited her account there and then.

1 Like

Dan, my son only ordered one pair of shoes, so single shipment as only one item in his order… just to show it’s not a part shipment issue :thinking:

1 Like

Well there I go jinxing myself.

I placed two orders last week, both shipped on Thursday and they’ve just charged me again for both.

First order contained two items. One in the second.

Did this get sorted for you in the end?

Yup. Based on the posts above/other linked thread, it was that the first payments were pending and they’d taken payment again when they dispatched things.

I posted on the chat that they’d charged me again and the first ones were pending. “Your wait time is 3 hours” and then I got a notification and a reply from chat that they’d cancelled the pending ones.

Playing devils advocate here, but with a legacy bank where I may only look at statements a few times a month, this would have gone unnoticed and required no action from the user or the bank. Maybe the instant notifications are causing more work for Monzo.

They are, but I see it as a big big plus.

Nike taking an extra £100 from me meant that had I tried to buy shopping, it would have been declined. It said that I would have automatically got it back within 21 days if I didn’t do anything.

I had the same thing with Nike recently. The first one is an authorisation hold, then they do a proper transaction when they dispatch. They’re not doing it the way they’re supposed to. And if you order multiple items, they do the hold on the full amount then charge for each item individually when they ship them.

I just sent monzo a screenshot of my order confirmation with the total amount and highlighted they’d charged me the total amount plus the same again as individual amounts and they reversed the hold quickly. They will warn you Nike can still take the money, but that won’t happen.