Charge for Faulty Card

Thanks - I am through email but was told you’re quite busy at the moment so it’s sort of stuck at the moment. If anything could be sped up by DM’ing then I’m happy to do so! [/off topic]

As for the fees… well, I suppose they will use contactless where it’s available until it gets to the point where it’s not useable and pay the £5. It’s not the amount more the principle of the chip stopping working I suppose.

1 Like

I believe, and I don’t have the chat here to confirm how it was worded, that because the card previously worked they wouldn’t replace for free. So a card that becomes faulty is chargeable, I think. The chip looks fine, but it just isn’t working.

1 Like

I’d argue that point with them as the terms and conditions do not state that.

It is faulty therefore you should get a free replacement

The fees information says faulty when it arrives but the t&cs don’t

7 Likes

I agree. The terms don’t state if the card is faulty on delivery, they state if the card is faulty so you can interpret that to your advantage.

It’s a pretty bad experience for chat to be telling customers that if they have a faulty card, a replacement would be chargeable. Even if the terms did state that would be the case. It’s only going to annoy the customer. It’s a standard cost of doing business for a bank to replace a faulty card.

3 Likes

I would argue the toss with COp(s) on this, and take it to a formal complaint level if necessary.

I had a card that arrived absolutely fine, was never mistreated, but over time it got increasingly dodgy over working with contactless payment, and eventually stopped working.

ETA: to be clear, this was nothing to do with the contactless limit; it was became harder and harder to payment machines to recognise the card was being held over them until a point when they simply weren’t able to recognise it at all.

I had it replaced as faulty before the new charges were brought in (luckily for me?).

Had I been asked to pay, I definitely would have argued the toss - the card was clearly faulty from new, but the fault only manifested/got worse over time. My perception/hope is that the new information re: ‘faulty when it arrives’ is Monzo over-specifying to protect against chancers, and that a civil conversation with COps would bypass it.

2 Likes

I guess it’s amazing cards work for as long as they do when you think about it. They are constantly being bent in your wallet and inserted into dirty slots that contain God knows what. Try cleaning your chip with a dry cloth. Contactless will also stop working when you reach the limit so you have to use chip and pin.

I guess if Monzo replaces a card for free every time someone’s card plays up it would cost a lot but if it continues not to work I’m sure they will send you one FOC.

1 Like

Cheers everyone, will pass on some of the advice and see how we get on :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Mine lives in a cupboard, I think I’ve used it twice this year so far. It’s linked to Google Pay, so I rarely need to use the physical card.

2 Likes