Cashpoint failed to give me my money and then took my cash card as well

Barclays or a Halifax would would would find your money straight away no not not 8-weeks waiting time other friends what does happened to with a normal bank account high Street Bank the time to get the money back in the same day they phone up so I don’t know where you’re from

Happened with me with Santander and took about a month

Luckily it was only £20

Apparently, it is only when an engineer comes round and counts it all up etc. Which I imagine is less frequently due to COVID.

Some banks are offering interest free overdraft, Monzo might if you explain the situation

It happened to my mate with that bank it was 250 and he got it back the same day

Barclays: 4 days, or 12 if not their cash machine (https://www.barclays.co.uk/help/cards/using-cards/atm-problem/)
HSBC: “number of days” - https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/card-support/query-transaction/

Kinda the only info I can find. Guess it all is a matter of risk analysis for a lot of these banks etc. :slight_smile: And might seem like a regular fraud vector – https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/oct/06/bank-atms-cash-machine-mistake-error

1 Like

Harping on about it here won’t unfortunately speed up the process, all you can do is keep up the contact with in app chat and see what else they can do whilst waiting for the return to come through

1 Like

What happens if the person forgets to take the cash, and the machine ‘eats’ it back? Does it get counted in again, or require some sort of reconciliation when the machine is next refilled?

1 Like

I know the machines can record if the money is pulled back in but I don’t know whether it’s an automated process or manual reconciliation process. It would be obvious that the amount of money in the machine doesn’t match the money in the machine.

I think I found my next topic for a long form post, but @rarther has exactly the right idea for the possible scenarios from the ATM operator’s perspective. :slightly_smiling_face:

For the record, eight weeks is the maximum time a dispute cycle takes, a vast majority of ATM issues are resolved well within 1–2 weeks when either the authorisation hold is released by us because the operator never reversed the authorisation and also never collected the money, or the ATM operator performs manual/batch reconciliation and notices the error, puts it in the next batch to refund, etc.

(Now you’ve reminded me that I kind of want an old-ish ATM to pull apart and teach people about how fascinating they are…)

6 Likes

Freeze your card, and order a replacement card!

Still waiting for money back bring month now

1 Like

They saying there have 30days to dispute the other bank then get my money back

Not help full if happen to u see how u feel

It’s the correct advice though. Nobody on here can help with this I’m afraid, as we’re all just customers like you.

Keep chasing them in app and I’m sure it will be resolved soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This bank is always painfully slow when something goes wrong. Hopefully the changes they’re making to the times on stuff like this well help them get their act together.

1 Like

To add it’s real sad what happened to this guy, wont go into it here but if you do some digging you can find out. RIP aussie50

Hello, please could you let me know if you got it back and if so how long did it take. Same situation with me and would be great to know if its likely to be refunded or not , cheers.

2 Likes

Stop spamming the post

When the machine reconciles if it’s in credit then it’ll report back and the money will arrive back.

You can let monzo know but they can’t do anything until the machine is either checked over by whoever owns it or until it provides an update on its own. Monzo will contact them to start the process if required.

1 Like

That’s funny as you had 3 posts in a row all about the same thing. Now you only have 1.

So yes it was, but it’s out of context now as 2 posts have vanished from view

1 Like

Read the post I replied to the actual answers are on the link. Read the rest of the thread the answers are on that