Card Payment Declined at the Post Office

Anyone else have problem paying with card at post office? Monzo was declined…so paid with my Lloyd’s card and it worked

The search option is your friend :smiley:

Certainly an odd one! :stuck_out_tongue: I was at the Post Office on the 1st of the month and had no trouble making payment with Monzo (via Google Pay) :slight_smile:

I was just paying for postage on a letter, was it just a run of the mill purchase for you too? :slight_smile:

It would be worth looking at the declined transaction in the app to see if that can give you any further information (sometimes the transaction can send a reason for the decline, i.e. lack of funds, wrong PIN, etc.) :smiley:

It’s not even that…it just comes as card type not recognized, as soon as I put the card in at he post office

Email the info to acceptance@monzo.com

1 Like

As you’ll see in the other thread posted above, some Post Offices especially those in shops will try and ‘double dip’ on their commission by paying for your Post Office transactions as an ATM Withdrawl, meaning they get the money for whatever you’re doing at the Post Office AND for doing a ‘cash withdrawl’.

The cash withdrawl at the Post Office relies on the LINK ATM Network which Monzo doesn’t participate in which is why the transaction is declined. You need to push the PO Counter Person to do it as a card transaction (like they should).

Maybe the Monzo Acceptance Team can contact Post Office Counters and discuss this shady behaviour going on.

4 Likes

All I know is when the error came up even before I entered the pin…he said is that MasterCard…we can’t accept it as it comes up with error message…

And the transaction was never declined…as soon as I entered my card.evem before entering the pin…it does not accept it…

Having paid at a Post Office today I can confirm this is more likely the operative trying to put the card through as a “banking transaction” (ie. cash withdrawal, cash deposit, cheque deposit etc.) rather than a payment transaction :disappointed:

If you could email through the details to acceptance@monzo.com we will have a look :pray:

2 Likes

I have sent an email earlier saying this has happened…still waiting for reply

Thanks! The Payments Team will be back in on Monday to take a look for you :+1:

3 Likes

Hi,

I’m a new monzo customer and today my card wasn’t accepted at 2 post offices (using chip and pin) . Their card machines just said “not accepted”. Instead I had to go home, fetch my natwest card, transfer money into that account and then use that card. The cashier said they do accept mastercard so it looked like they just didn’t recognise monzo’s card?!

What were you trying to do in the post office?

I’ve used my monzo to pay to send a parcel a few times.

Assuming you were just making a normal purchase, send an email to acceptance@monzo.com with as much detail as you can and they can look in to it further.

I had a similar issue a month or two ago while trying to pay a bill. Had to go outside to the cash machine, withdraw the money (no issue) and come back in and pay with cash.

I was buying some drinks. They were both small family run type corner shops with a post office counter where you pay for everything.

Interesting ,

By the way did you also try contactless or Google/Apple pay?

No, neither accept contactless payments. I’ve emailed monzo with all the details, hopefully it’s not a common occurrence.

1 Like

I have had the exact same problem couple of weeks ago…I posted that here…the dude then said we don’t accept MasterCard…
I had to quickly transfer money to Lloyd’s and pay on Lloyd’s card…

I used my Starling card (also MasterCard) at a Post Office the other day with no issues, which is weird! Maybe more a Monzo thing than a MasterCard thing?