Can't use Monzo for direct debit with More Than

I’ve got a quote for More Than which was really good but when I came to enter the direct debit details it failed validation. I just phoned now and they’ve said Monzo and American Express are the only banks they can’t use. I understand American Express as they’re not Visa/Mastercard so need supporting as a separately but I though direct debits “just worked” when you give a sort code and account number. Is this a problem with Monzo or MoreThan?

1 Like

It’s More Than.

But direct debit is nothing to do with Visa/Mastercard. Were you trying to pay with your card or set up a direct debit?

If you email acceptance@monzo.com they will speak to them about it (No idea how quickly though, the answer is probably not quickly)

I was confused when she was talking about American Express as I was trying to setup direct debit only. I wasn’t trying to pay anything by card! I’ll email acceptance, maybe the more people mention a company the quicker they try and resolve things. Thanks @Revels!

From what I’ve read, organisations are wrong to do this. OTOH, I haven’t time to be sorting things out on behalf a bank.

I expect things to work and that’s one of the reasons Monzo is not ready to be my main current account.

4 Likes

The stupid thing is that they will have customers that pay them via direct debit with Monzo if they had it with another bank and then used CASS.

I pay for my More Than pet insurance via direct debit from my Monzo account.

1 Like

I’ve had a similar problem. MoreThan let me set up a policy but when the first scheduled payment was due, they wrote to me saying the bank refused it. I know that’s cobblers, as I’ve never had a notification to say the direct debit has been set up in the first place. Looks like I’ll have to call them every month to make a card payment.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.