British ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง vs ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ American ENGLISH

I am keen to see what else is spoken/named different :uk: vs :us:
And maybe any comments/ideas WHY this or that is named/called different?

2 Likes

Also :nerd_face:

1 Like

Most people who use this phrase says :point_down:

Another day another dollar

As live in the UK, I prefer to say
โ€™โ€˜Another day, another shillingโ€™โ€™ :nerd_face: :sweat_smile:

Sort of related, people need to stop saying โ€œreach outโ€

4 Likes

I lived in the US for a while. Once when a friend there rented a new apartment and invited us to see it, I said โ€˜thereโ€™s not enough room to swing a cat in hereโ€™. That took some explainingโ€ฆ

4 Likes

Maybe I got what you want to say, but as not native :uk: English speaker, I probably would ask you to explain me it too :rofl:

Whatโ€™s wrong with :point_right: โ€˜โ€˜reach outโ€™โ€™?

Here we goโ€ฆ

As a description of space, if you grab a catโ€™s tail and start circling around quickly (like an Olympic hammer-thrower), if the cat hits the walls, itโ€™s a small space.

EDIT: This is a theoretical comment. No cats were harmed in this production.

11 Likes

Yup, Iโ€™d need that one explaining too!

Iโ€™m just picturing someone trying to swing a cat in a room.

I probably fall squarely in the middle. I lived in America for much of life, and have more friends and family over there than I do here, and talk to them more frequently than I do brits too.

2 Likes

I definitely understood it now :sweat_smile: :rofl:

2 Likes

Ah, so in this case itโ€™s a literal thing not an idiom! (I hate idioms) So I was right after all! Although I was picturing the cat being held by itโ€™s front paws. Thatโ€™s how Iโ€™d swing it.

3 Likes

I love this conversation :rofl:
It took only a few seconds to move from :uk: :us: Englist subject to :scream_cat: swinging across the room โ€˜โ€˜pictureโ€™โ€™ :joy_cat:

2 Likes

Itโ€™s an Americanism that needs to stop. Just say contact.

4 Likes

I blame depeche mode

8 Likes

On the cooking ingredients I had to look up arugula first time I saw it in an American recipe.

3 Likes

Itโ€™s cilantro that gets me every time

6 Likes

Ah yes, that one too!

3 Likes

I always annoy my parents by saying oregano (:us:) instead of oregano (:uk:) :sweat_smile:

Aluminum already.

4 Likes

Living in Portsmouth, I of course get told repeatedly how many of these stock British phrases come from Royal Navy origins

Square meal is one example

So I am happy/sad to report that the cat in question is not one of our small feline friends, but in fact a cat oโ€™ nine tails

3 Likes