Brexit Chat

Should be easy enough then. Just need to register yourself as a foreign birth and then get the passport

2 Likes

That’s debatable. I looked into getting an Irish passport (my maternal grandfather was Irish), and aside from the fact that registering as a foreign birth costs a fortune, you also need a shit load of documentation for your parents and your Irish-born grandparent :frowning:

Liam

Yeah but you wouldn’t expect them to give you nationality without proof. Parent is easier than grandparent as it’s more likely they still have their birth cert

1 Like

Yeah, if it’s one of your parents who were born in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland then it’s very easy. My dad was born in Belfast.

I literally just filled out the normal form that anyone who had been born in Ireland would have filled out. I had to fill in the bit about my dad, which was a tiny section on the same form and had to send in his birth certificate (and death certificate, but hopefully yours is still alive!) with the application. I think the fee was €80.

It was very simple and very easy. Got the passport back within 3 weeks of posting the application.

I believe it’s harder, and a lot more expensive if it’s a grandparent.

2 Likes

If it’s your dad, then it’s very easy and cheap - all you need is his birth certificate.

You’re technically already an Irish citizen in their eyes, you just haven’t got a passport. Same as I was.

Plus - a lot of people don’t realise that Northern Ireland still counts. It’s, ‘The island of Ireland’.

2 Likes

*** desperately checks ancestry.com for Irish relatives ***

Yeah that’s the part I fall under, just haven’t bothered yet…

I didn’t have my dad’s birth certificate or death certificate. My dad died 4 months before I was born and my mum didn’t know where any of it was.

I went on one of those ancestry/records sites and got the register or entry number or whatever it’s called - the thing where it’s just a massive list of names with numbers next to it. Then I went to the Northern Irish records office website, entered the register number and his details and paid (£15 I think) - I don’t think it even asked me why I wanted it or if I was related to him! But obviously I had the same name.

Then I went to the England & Wales record office website and put in the details for his death, paid another £10 (I think).

Within a few days they’d both sent me certified copies of birth and death. It was incredibly easy to get his birth and death certificates.

@anon61087081 I’d definitely do it ASAP, you won’t believe how quick and simple it is - even if you don’t have your dad’s documents. It’ll only take a few extra days to get them.

You send an email to passportlondon@dfa.ie with your name and address and they’ll send you a passport application form in the post.

1 Like

Yeah, my Mum could apply for an easy Irish passport (although she just did a British passport application).

My grandfather is dead (don’t worry, he died before my Mum was born). Fortunately, my grandmother is very organised and has all of his documentation… my only issue is with the cost :frowning: (It says you have to get documents authenticated, and I dread to think how much that would cost).

Liam

I remember a drunken conversation in a pub many years ago where a group of us were trying to decide what passport to apply for.
It was basically if a plane we were on was hijacked would it be better to have the Irish passport, because no one hates the Irish and they’d let you go, or the British because they have the SAS to storm the plane. We all decided on the British :+1:
I’ll wait and see what happens with the border, might be easier to get the Irish to go over and use the British to come back

Could your mum get hers then you get yours through her as a direct parent? Send in her passport when she gets it as the evidence - I don’t know if there’s an age limit for registering Irish citizens born abroad. It’s worth finding out.

One of the main reasons I did it, apart from for myself, was so that if we ever have kids I can immediately register them as Irish citizens born abroad and pass it on to them so that they’ll be EU citizens too.

For my wife’s Dutch passport she had to provide ‘one to two’ pieces of evidence that she’d lived within the EU, for every year since she was 18 (so if she’d waited until next year when we’re out of the EU she wouldn’t have been able to get one!) Plus all her mum’s past Dutch passports and evidence (luckily she’d kept them). Then she had to go to the Dutch Embassy in London and present copies of it all (quite a big folder full) along with the originals (so they could certify the copies). They had to talk to her and they took her fingerprints, then sent it all off to The Netherlands. I think it was €140.

They also have a condition whee you have to renounce your other citizenship(s). But the are a few exceptions - one of which was the fact that she was born in the UK and had lived in the UK/EU all her life.

You never know if Ireland might bring in new rules and end up with a process like that - I know the UK process involves an interview and fingerprinting for your first passport these days - so it’s worth doing it now while it’s easy.

2 Likes

Form requested… lets get this game rolling…

Nothing to lose really…

3 Likes

Quick question for you… did you use the passport tracker at all when doing this?

Application form should have arrived today (what Royal Mail/An Post webstie says)… but nothing yet (assuming it’s updated daily).

1 Like

Yeah, I checked it obsessively! I seem to remember that it did take a long time to show as received or processing (whatever the first step is). Even after Royal Mail said it had been delivered.

I sent mine to the Irish passport office in London, not to Dublin.

1 Like

Ahhh, maybe its different, I just sent it straight to Cork Passport office.

Edit: i’ll give them until tomorrow and chase them up!

My sister just applied for hers, via the London embassy passport office. Hers has taken about a month and the status has just changed to, ‘being printed’.

She obviously has exactly the same relatives as me and the same supporting documents. Mine took about 2 weeks - last spring I think it was. So there’s obviously a bigger backlog now.

1 Like

Just wondering what people’s thoguhts are on the current Brexit negotiations. Do you think we should just walk away now with no deal or have the extension to the transition period that’s been suggested? :thinking::thinking:

Who bloody knows, it’s a mess. Will be a moment in history they look back and ask what were we thinking I’m sure. Whether right or wrong !

1 Like

It’s a total farce. I don’t understand why a cross party group wasn’t set up to manage it. Personally I would like to decide on the terms of the agreement. If the no deal is worse for the country how can that just be allowed to happen without having a say. Bonkers the lot of it.

4 Likes

Problem with cross party discussions are… they start looking out for themselves and start to spill the beans to discredit other parties etc.

It’s a rock and a hard place for the Gov. They keep their cards close to their chest (never show your hand) and get crucified by the opposition/public. But if your open the opposition take advantage.

In saying that, you could argue the EU are playing hardball to deter other states from wanting to leave, so we’re ‘the example’

Whilst I did vote remain (still my preference), there’s no perfect way to deal with this.

3 Likes