Brexit Chat

This is just as unfair as judging EU workers and saying they’re fiddling benefits. Or judging any other group in society.

1 Like

I was told at the job centre that us (eu citizens) can’t apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance or other benefits until we’ve been here for 5 years and gained settled status. Not that I needed them but it pretty much breaks the myth that we’re here for the benefits.

I pay NI and tax like everyone but can’t rely on the state to have my back in times of need. Sad

Edit for clarification: not that we can’t apply: we’re simply not elegible

2 Likes

There’s rules for it… https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/eea-nationals-and-the-habitual-residence-test/eea-nationals-claiming-benefits-as-a-jobseeker/

1 Like

I voted remain, but if I were to vote again I would vote leave and back a soft brexit.

1 Like

At the risk of stirring up a hornet’s nest…

This is genius.

12 Likes

Here’s the hornets nest… :wink:

I have to claim this as inaccurate… David Cameron is the Captain… he didn’t go down with the ship. He abandoned it whilst it was still afloat.

1 Like

The ending is the best bit :joy:

I’m with you there.

1 Like

the original - shame it’s not getting the views it deserves.

2 Likes

So… this is going to be fun…

Im sure I heard someone say that no deal is better than a bad deal. :joy:

1 Like

Bugger Brexit.

That’s very simplistic approach. When you leave your country and go to work somewhere else you already feel inferior, therefore you put 200% into the work you do, then you get harassed because of it, but most importantly a lot of people live different lives.

I spent 10 years in the UK and started working in the factory for minimum wage, sometimes 16 hours shifts. Why? Because there was so much work but nobody wanted to do it! I still managed to send money home but I lived normal life, just without any luxuries. I didn’t have a car, flat screen tv, or anything like that. At the same time I wasn’t one of those people who would save money on not topping up the gas card to the point the boiler froze (true story from other tenants of my ex-landlord)

Just saying - if you know you have family back home that do not have money at all - you will make it happen, without any shenanigans…

5 Likes

All of them? Every single one? How do you know that?

Yes

3 Likes

So, my wife’s Dutch passport arrived yesterday. We now have a nice selection, two each. Happy that we can keep our rights to work and travel no matter what and pass them on if we ever have kids. But also a bit sad too. Such a stupid state of affairs.

20180830_110558

4 Likes

Irish passport easy enough to apply for? Guy at work seemed to suggest it was a PITA

What grounds are you applying on?

The old man is Irish… also grandparent on the other side.

Haven’t really looked into it, but handy to have a plan B (especially since most of my industry seems to be in Germany)

1 Like