BPay type payment band

Might already work with Monzo…

It’s essentially a pre-paid card that you top up.

Scratch that, it does work with Monzo… should have read the post above :wink:

I use my bPay every single day and love it… Having said that, if Monzo were to release their own wearable contactless collection, I would buy/use one of theirs instantly. I think there is a massive untapped market in wearables that Monzo would be very clever to tap into… as far as I can see Barclays are the only main stream bank providing this service at the moment… Think about it Monzo, not only are they very useful for everyday purchases, they are also a pretty cool way of paying and would, I have no doubt, elevate the Monzo profile even further.!

3 Likes

Hi all, moved your posts here to keep the chat in one place :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been using the K-Ring (Kerv) for 4 months now, and I’m totally hooked. I’ve stopped using my Apple Watch or phone to pay for small items, and I use the ring all the time on the Tube, for coffee, sandwiches and the like. The only thing I hate is the customer service, errors and general poor business behaviours of the now K-Ring company. It looks like the technology is licensable from the original developers and patent holders for a lower price point than the £100 outlay, and I agree that the Ring would have to be a duplicate / mirror card otherwise I’d loose all the good features of Monzo that I have come to love. Either way, I’d happily spend another £100 for a hot coral (on the inside!) MonzoRing in dark, dark blue with the Monzo emblem etched in it, of course. Please Monzo, add this to your moon-shots list, I’d be all in!!

4 Likes

Can monzo try partnering with a Chinese company loads selling nfc / rfid rings cheap.

2 Likes

Even a chip in a bracelet will do . So you can attach to watch etc . BPay have something similar

2 Likes

Is it possible to butcher the monzo card down to the size if a phone sim so you could insert it into the pay fob / bracket?

1 Like

No, as the antenna runs around the edges of the card.

Holding the card up to a bright light should show you the outline of the antenna and chip itself.

2 Likes

I think it would be possible with a bit of acetone and time, but a bit risky and DIY. You would have to dissolve the card rather than cut it up.

From Monzo’s point of view I think they’re really missing a trick here - loads of people with pink bands at festivals paying for drinks would be a great marketing opportunity for them, even if it doesn’t make them much money to sell a contactless option, it could be a good tool for promotion and user growth.

Maybe most people have apple watches nowadays, but there are also many situations where you might not want to wear one (like going hiking or going to a festival).

2 Likes

That’s a great instructable but i think it would fail here as most contactless cards require a chip and pin transaction every so often.

2 Likes

Yes good point. I haven’t ever hit this limit of contactless transactions with monzo, but perhaps there is one.

1 Like

I’d love a cheap payment ring/band/keychain!

2 Likes

BPay looks like it’s closing and migrating to Pingit in September.
I’m guessing you’ll be able to attach a ring/band to one of their jars (pots).

1 Like

Will the wristly connect to the monzo account . Eg will I be able to see the transaction in monzo app or will it be like bPay where u use monzo just as a top up and have to use another app to check transactions

1 Like

We want to give you the option to tokenize your existing credit or debit card (Monzo or other) directly onto the Wristly payband, similar to Google pay. That way all your transactions will be visible in Monzo app. To achieve this, we would need Monzo connected to our token service provider. In a mean time, Wrstly can be linked to a prepaid virtual master card that can be set up for auto top-up.

1 Like

There is definitely a need for a cheap almost disposable wearable. Spending GBP 500 on smart watch or even GBP 100 on a ring is not justifiable, especially since the actual passive contactless payment chip cost less than a fiver.

1 Like

A smart watch most likely wouldn’t use a passive payment chip.

But that aside, people don’t have to justify how they choose to spend their money. I think a manufacturer would have a hard time justifying to me why they wanted to charge £100 for a payment ring, but that may depend on design, materials etc.

I used the bPay wristband and got rid of it as I found it cumbersome and uncomfortable, and prefer to use a contactless card. I also prefer not to run a separate app and have to reload.

Welcome to the community by the way - it’s a great forum for discussion on Monzo in particular and FS in general - but I would caution that creating a profile simply to try and flog your wares isn’t a good look - just my opinion.

Edit: that was meant to be a reply to humuhumu

1 Like

Chris thank you for your feedback on bPay. We want to find out if there is demand for wearable payments from Monzo community and how we can make Wristly most valuable for its users.The ultimate goal is to provide an affordable non-cumbersome passive payband that can be tokenized with your existing Monzo card.

OK, well, from my own point of view I have non-smart watches which I buy because I like watches - but probably only wear about half the time; I don’t wear a watch if I don’t need to know the time that day. I wear a wedding ring, which doesn’t come off even when I’m in surgery or MRI scanners. Cufflinks at work because I like double cuffs and cufflinks. No other hand or wrist jewellery, and no wish to own or wear any (unless it were a gift from my wife).

The bPay band I found cumbersome, and the fact that it was on the wrist made it awkward positioning the hand for a contactless card reader. It was also cheap looking and feeling, bulky, uncomfortable, and difficult to fasten.

A ring would have been better but I’d personally be very unlikely to wear anything other than my wedding ring. Chances of me wearing a generic payment ring, pretty much nil.

I don’t find it at all awkward to extract the card of my choosing from my wallet (and depending on what I’m paying for and where, that could be one of four cards in everyday use, one of about 10 in total). I have used Google pay on a few occasions when I’ve gone out without my wallet, which in itself is a rarity, but selecting the correct card if it’s not the default card is a pain. Physical card from wallet is easier.

I’m not a technophobe, and I’m enthusiastic about new technologies where they make my life easier. That said, I am 54 and you may find a more receptive target audience among a slightly (or much) younger demographic!

Edit: positioning the hand - not poisoning the hand…

1 Like

Excellent.

BPay was like prepay Monzo but with the coolest and easiest way to do comtactless.

You could go running or swiming and never have to carry anything but you band.

1 Like