BPay type payment band

That’s what I’m looking for . Signed up . I have used bPay around for years and love it . It’s the easiest way to pay for things in city and get around on London transport . My only gripe is that I have to use there app and can’t use Monzo to see my transactions which make a lot of the features in monzo useless . Working in open banking space . The tokenastion is very possible with the apis available . Good luck and I will be monitoring to see how far you guys get . 100 pounds for a ring is ridiculous. I would never pay for this as it serves only one function. A lot people on here would agree this is a great idea . I hope monzo support you on this

1 Like

Completely agree! The current charges are ridiculous for what is a bum chip in mostly cheap jewelry/key chains.

1 Like

Cuff-links would be nice…

I’ve signed up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d vote for a baseball hat. Head butting the Oyster reader when I want to travel. :joy:

1 Like

As bPay is now dead I thought some of you may be interested to look at PingIt (Barclays new version). They currently offer a band, keychain, or wrap for your watch strap.

https://web.pingit.com

I started using the new Pingit and must say it’s very good. You can create pots (jars) and switch which one your band is synced to on the fly. Means I can have a separate pot for shopping and one for travel and money is spent directly from them.

It hasn’t got spend analysis or budgets yet.

Seems like you can set it to top-up every week/month and it looks like theres some way to add money if your balance falls below whatever limit you choose but haven’t used that bit yet.

By the looks of it, you can order a pre-paid card too.

I’m really interested in the watch wrap

I really think Monzo are missing what could be great marketing for them - it could be cheap (a pink rubber band with a contactless chip), treated as just another card in the app, and would be great marketing at events like festivals if it used their brand colour.

1 Like

Yeah we been suggesting for ages but they don’t seem to be interested in the idea . Check how long this post has been going .

And it’s got 8 votes so there doesn’t seem to be much demand

1 Like

I believe that this is bPay as the underlying technology.

You can also get a pingit visa card that you can assign to a pot as well. this essentially allows you to have you main bank card, and another card (one of the pingit cards) assigned to a pot, and a pingit device assigned to a pot.

It’s quite versatile and i can see there being a number of good uses for this kind of setup.

Although this idea would have been good quite a few years ago before mobile payment options like Apple Pay, Google Pay etc (even Fitbit pay I suppose lol) were like they are now. However since mobile payments now is so much better than flat contactless - no specific limits, better security than a physical card, let alone bare contactless and allows to see spending on device etc, I’d rather monzo spend their time on other features that’ll bring more customers (and of course money) to the bank.

Plus also physical payment bands requires money to make and environmental impacts etc are a thought as well.

Anyway just a though :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

It’s the new version of bPay, they’ve discontinued it and are pushing PingIt now.

You can always link your :mondo: until wearables come onto the :mondo: road map.

1 Like

Only on the brand side is what i mean. The technology stack hasn’t changed as far as im aware, they’re just more closely integrating it with pingit.

1 Like

Yeah, from what I can tell it’s just a rebrand. Sorry I misunderstood :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There’s many uses these could be useful for. Off the top of my head these come to mind.

For specific limited spending. e.g. card for food shopping only (just an example)

A band can be useful for people who don’t have technology with them. I don’t necessarily take my phone or wallet everywhere. If you’re out doing sports, sailing, swimming, etc. these are waterproof, don’t require power, and useful for small purchases when your out doing your thing.

I can see them being quite useful for families for a small spending pot for kids without the need for bank cards or a smart phone.

I’d argue that where Monzo is based and the fact that this market is tech based that Monzo wouldn’t dive into the payment band type, but encourage the move to using more technology in a good way.

Like a potential child account, instead of just a band for a child where they can wear and use it to spend - having a joint child account on the parent’s account and going through what they’re earning because of pocket money etc and teaching them how to look after something like a debit card - teaches responsibility instead of a band that they don’t need to worry about.

Do you use bPay/PingIt? If so, how have you found it?

pingit also has a visa card that you can attach to a jar. I think that’s basically what you’ve described here. the devices you can use are just other options for people with different needs.

I use pingit. The recent updates are very good.

Jars can be topped up automatically with recurring payments, they can also be topped up via bank transfer (each jar has its own sort code and account number). Jars can be attached to a pingit visa card of one of the pingit devices disused in this thread.

Pingit also produces a statement (digital), so its also easy to keep track of your pingit jars and transactions over time.

It has a large number of payment options (at the moment most using cash via your linked account) including Paym, Pay by Bank, iMessage, direct business payment (via listed businesses), payment via QR code (for paying businesses), and foreign currency payments (thought this doesn’t look as good as some alternatives), and the usual payment URL for sending a payment, or requesting a payment from someone.

It also has a charity giving and fund raising page, so you can quite easily give directly to a large number of charities, or set up a small fundraising page for any of those charities. Im not sure how popular this is but its a nice little extra, ive seen something similar asked in these forums a few times.

1 Like