Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2018

Damn, I bought one about 3 months ago - wished it was waterproof too. Maybe I’ll gift it and treat myself!

2 Likes

I’m seeing no discounts on the Home Hub (UK) - apparently it was supposed to be £100 - anyone seen it anywhere?

1 Like

It’s not actually Black Friday until next week, so the offers might not be live yet.

2 Likes

I don’t understand the reason for the name and secondly it’s not really Black Friday if it now lasts all week.

It’s American, and probably apocryphal: Black Friday is the first Friday after (during? I’m not American, I’m not sure) Thanksgiving when retailers have all their sales and boost their balance sheets from being in the red and into the black.

It lasts all week now because no-one can resist taking a simple concept and completely beating all the life out of it (also, for the UK, if you can call a sale ‘Black Friday’ and con the public into overspending on things they don’t need/things that have been falsely reduced, think how much more money you could make if you con them over a week or two instead! :unamused:)

2 Likes

On that notion… There’s an amazing website called camelcamelcamel that you can price check the history of things listed on Amazon. So you can see how good of a deal you are getting.

Currently the Fitbit charge on Amazon’s website is listed as “£75” with “46% off” but if you look at the Camel page, it’s been hovering at about £95 for the last month (so 20ish% off), and has been for the majority of the time been listed at £110 (so about 35% off).

Defintely a useful site - for the item I mentioned.

A graph:

To use it just go here: https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com and plug in any Amazon URL.

7 Likes

Definitely second your recommendation. It’s a fantastic site, and I haven’t spent a penny at Amazon without checking it ever since I discovered it. If you’re interested in something you don’t need urgently, and the current Amazon price is overpriced according to the history, you can set price alerts instead of having to constantly check yourself.

4 Likes

Massive discount on Amazon Echos/Alexas right now including the latest models. Just ordered two of the new echo dots as they had a massive 50% off!

It was showing at $99 in the US Google Store earlier today. I’m not sure if we’ll get the equivalent deal…

I’ve just read that it’s supposed to be £100 here…

1 Like

It feels weird that I never spend on Black Friday I just don’t see anything I really want at the time but that might change haha will see what happens this year I’m working it as well so that should be fun good luck with all your Black Friday huntings/findings.

Me too, although it may not happen until next week. Hopefully John Lewis run the promo too, as I have a £50 voucher to spend! :eyes:

1 Like

HUKD says that the deal on the home hub goes live on the 22nd :slight_smile:

1 Like

Couldn’t resist the new Paperwhite at £90. Even used the 5 month payment option just for fun. Love that it’s waterproof but even more important I hated the old raised bezels. These just shouldn’t exist in 2018!!’

Also nabbed ought two new Dots to replace my older ones. At £25 seemed rude not to.

1 Like

So tempted by that new Kindle. But my current paperwhite still works perfectly fine.

2 Likes

Is this with Amazon??

Same same…

So I’m looking at the Bose QC35 ii - can get for around £280… I should probably wait until proper Black Friday :joy:

1 Like

Yep, I used it today on an echo dot, also just for fun. There’s no credit check/credit agreement needed so it’s really easy!

Got the chance to try out the Sony WH-1000XM3 for real in Curry’s today and now a bit torn. Let’s see if one or both show up in further cuts

2 Likes