Be careful out there folks!

There are a lot of industries that are naturally hotter - steelworks, restaurant kitchens etc which makes it hard to legislate for how hot it can be to work. Imagine the uproar if only select work environments like offices got a max temperature but a welding shop was fair game.

1 Like

The body generally adapts quicker to the heat and it’s easier to manage than the cold especially when it comes to working manually (bulky winter clothes are a hinderance).
I had an outdoor welding job in Canada a few years ago in minus 50 it was rediculouse for every 10 mins spent eorking outdoors we would fpend another 30 indoors warming back up, due to the fact we could only wear limited clothing for flame retardency and the likes. It was very counter productive and the job took ages. Give me 60 degrees in the desert anyday of the week.

Thats an uber good point that I didn’t think about

I think you’d have to legislate specifically based on type of work. I.e if you’re working a building site thats different to working in an office.

It’s a nice idea in principle but for how many industries there are… you couldn’t possibly define every job in legislation. It’s why there isn’t a legal limit for how cold it can be either (from memory it’s guidance values and the actual legal requirement is to ‘maintain a comfortable temperature’).

Then that opens up the interpretation of what a comfortable temperature.
This is why I could never be a lawyer too much “open to interpretation”

Makes two of us on vague wording front! I do understand why it’s written the way it is though and think it’s better than hard limits defined in legislation.

By Jove - 32 degrees here now and set to go to 34 in a few hours followed by :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:
Unbearable :hot_face:

Weather calmed down now, looks a bit wet for a while. Sunglasses off.