Bank transfers in full current account

Fair enough, but they didn’t have the details of all my non-Monzo contacts.

I had a Monzo android update today, and have disabled access to my contacts, but Monzo still lists them all. I guess they are stored in the app’s memory for now. I’ll wait for an update that allows payments without contact access before doing any more. I am relieved to hear that Monzo don’t take the data into their own systems.

I think you should be able to make FPS bank transfers without having contacts enabled, despite the nasty message it gives you?

I can, and I don’t have a ‘nasty message’. It’s just that it still lists all my contacts even though my android security system says it doesn’t have access. No matter for now.

1 Like

I think you’re seeing this because Face ID has completely changed the model of how one authenticates to their phone to something that has been called ‘Continuous Authentication’. There was an interesting article recently published about this:

Continuous Authentication – We’re used to authentication events being discrete — you do something that requires proving that you’re the person performing the action, and the iPhone asks you to authenticate.

In the past, you had to either unlock your iPhone once and allow access to everything (well, everything that didn’t require a separate password) or put your finger on the Touch ID sensor whenever an app wanted you to authenticate. Face ID is different.

With Face ID, since you’re usually looking at your phone when an authentication event occurs, the iPhone X can scan your face as soon as you initiate the task that needs authentication, so it doesn’t need to ask you to do anything additional. And the iPhone X does this constantly. Here are examples I’ve discovered so far:

It’s something I guess Monzo will have to give some thought to. Usually you can confirm the details on the authentication screen, but if that screen doesn’t appear because of continuous authentication, what should the transfer flow be?

2 Likes

Interesting.

I think in this case, I’d be looking for a confirmation screen prior to authentication.

Specify Transaction -> Confirm Transaction -> Authenticate Transaction

would seem to be the right flow to match the Touch ID process (albeit slightly different since the Confirmation nad Authentication request are combined).

2 Likes

It would be great to get some feedback from Monzo on these points.

Today I made a payment using Face ID and somehow it went through twice. No idea how it happened but it is an indicator that Face ID payments are too frictionless. They need some sort of confirmation. Maybe double click the side button as with Apple Pay. Interesting that Apple Pay requires a confirmation using the side button and not just Face ID.

3 Likes

This morning I’ve just done bank transfer so I could pay and close my first direct credit card. It shows the HSBC logo which I thought was a neat feature. :clap:t2:image

2 Likes

This is the same for my new debit card. Is this possible to rectify?

Putting a one-liner at the end of a two year old topic isn’t going to get you very far since it’s not at all clear what you’re talking about!

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m confused with what you mean @GuitarXTreme

Pardon me, I was referring to the last comment about the First Direct card appearing with an HSBC logo