Bank transfer from monzo to monzo

Don’t worry I’ve got the sort code and bank number and all

Once it’s sorted (and if you don’t mind), will you share some details of what went on? I think it’s always helpful to identify how people fall for cons, so we can keep an eye out ourselves. Sometimes even the wisest of us get caught!

3 Likes

It’s fine you can continue tomorrow,

1 Like

I can tell you now how I fell for it, I was on Shpock and I was being foolish and impatient because I wanted a graphics card but I didn’t have enough for the particular one I wanted so I looked on Shpock and saw a better graphics card with a low price and me being giddy I was not cautious, he even sent his passport and everything. So I said I would send a first sum of money and after he sent off the item and he sent me the receipt I would send the rest

1 Like

Ok thanks

Oh and then after he said he would send me the receipt he stopped messaging back and so I tried stupidly to have a bit of faith in humanity but apparently my stupidity has no bounds

2 Likes

I’ve never used Shpock (although I’ve seen adverts for it), but it’s a bit dodgy that you needed to send money before you even had the graphics card. The eagerness to show a passport is - on reflection - a bit weird, but of course it cements the idea that they are legit. Who would do that if they weren’t, right?

The unfortunate problem is that the recipient bank account may not be anything to do with the seller, money mules and cuckoo smurfs (I got that from a Wiki, so don’t ask me) mean criminals may have access to accounts that are not their own. Vulnerable adults are particularly at risk.

I hope you get your money back. Good luck!

4 Likes

Thanks but surprisingly I think he was a low scammer as I’ve been calling his number and it’s been getting declined instantly as he wanted to message on whatsapp and you need a phone number. So I’m trying to annoy him so much he sends the money back or I delay him in transfering the money. Hopefully tomorrow I can call the police and he’ll be known as a scammer

Hey there @ghosalc01,

Really sorry to hear about this :disappointed:Have you managed to get a reply from our team yet?

If not please give us a call on 0800 802 1281 and we’ll get this sorted for you. It may take a few tries to get through to us if we are busy, but rest assured your call will get picked up by one of my team.

If you aren’t able to get through please let me know and I’ll look into this for you!

4 Likes

Thank you for the phone number I have called in and they have a team working on it so perhaps I can get my money back. Thank you so mucb

1 Like

Brilliant! No worries at all, I’m glad our team were able to get that looked into :slightly_smiling_face:

In the meantime, I would suggest reporting what has happened here to Action Fraud who can also look into this for you too.

Bear in mind for the future, bank transfers are the same as giving someone cash. Please always check that you’re giving the money to someone you know and trust - we can’t guarantee being able to recover money sent to someone who turns out to be a scammer.

I do hope that you’ll be able to get your money back :crossed_fingers:

Give me a shout if you need anymore help!

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice however the difference with paying in cash is that its upfront so if the person doesn’t have the product you dont give them the money under I’ll get it to you tomorrow

I think he means in a legal sense , so your options of getting it back

4 Likes

Yeah that makes sense.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.