Apple WWDC 2020

TestFlight works fine on iOS 14.

Just about to install iOS 14 on my phone. Bummer about the Barclays/Barclaycard apps, I will have to keep my iPad on 13 until itā€™s fixed (benefit of having a separate iPad app, eh, :monzo:)

Edit: it shows the jailbroken screen but then allows me in anyway :woman_shrugging:

it doesnā€™t allow on my iPad

How oddā€¦

Can anyone else access it on an iPhone?

Also, silly question but there was a disclaimer during setup to say itā€™s a developer version proper authorisation blah blah blah. Is it safe to assume that Apple canā€™t/wonā€™t go after those who donā€™t have a dev account?

I am not sure on that part as I have a developer account.

Bah mineā€™s a 2012 tooā€¦ still works fine as well. An arm laptop just isnā€™t an option for me - sometimes I have to run stuff at home and we donā€™t do osx softwareā€¦ lack of bootcamp is an absolute killer.

Itā€™s going to be interesting when salesmen start ringing support with these thingsā€¦ they like shiny things, and apple in particular, so often buy macbooksā€¦ our stats show a decent number of macbooks running windows. Every now and then we get someone who doesnā€™t know the difference and we have to point them at bootcampā€¦ now we face the prospect of telling them they have a choice of getting a refund or not running the app (which is mandated by their employers, often). For the half dozen a year that do this itā€™s just not an option to rewrite for osx, either.

How did you download the beta?

Further up someone linked a page with the profiles on it

Iā€™d be wary of installing it without a paid Developer account. In the past, attempting to install a beta OS without a corresponding Dev account will stop the phone from activating, necessitating a full wipe and install.

Iā€™d recommend waiting for the public beta - I think Apple said next month for that?

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve read of that happening before, and I ran the dev beta from a profile last year too

How would they stop the phone, and what would the fix be?

You may well be right. My experience of getting the betas without a paid dev account is a few years old, back when not being a dev meant downloading the IPSW from a shady website, and paying a company to register your deviceā€™s UUID.

Iā€™d guess if you downloaded the profile from Apple, you should be all good.

Yeah, I hope they changed their stance now. Thereā€™s a pretty big website uploading the Dev profiles for all the OSes so they should go after them in the first instance I think.

It just downloads a config profile signed by Apple and the install can begin straightaway. No UDID or IPSW required

It might also just be a CYA move from Apple so users canā€™t blame them while secretly wanting more installs and more feedback

2 Likes

Probably linux mainlyā€¦ Arm windows exists but nobody is targetting it (if they can, our tools canā€™t) and I canā€™t see them starting for something so niche.

From my experience of doing this every year since I knew how to, I would say youā€™re fine.

Iā€™ve never ever had a problem, and given that there are (tens of?) thousands of other Apple geeks doing the same, I think definitely fine.

Totally agree with your last sentence here. Itā€™s become so much easier the last few years.

At first I had to get a friend to register my UDID. Then I still had to do via laptop and ipsw. And now itā€™s just the profile and done.

Last year I had the betas for iOS 13 and Catalina and regretted it. Catalina seemed to duplicate a lot of files and become irreversible so I had to nuke it and start over on Mojave with my backup. Not the end of the world, but somewhat inconvenient. As for iOS 13, Monzo hated it initially, as did HSBC. Most other stuff worked. Has anybody had any issues with HSBC this time out? I have put both betas on my work devices (Big Sur and iOS 14) with minimal bugs - as expected. I just donā€™t fancy taking the plunge if I canā€™t bank properly, let alone the usual stuff (Reddit, social media, and so on). Iā€™m a huge advocate for Dark Sky so Iā€™m hoping that is fully integrated in the UK.

Big Sur is looking good! Iā€™m 50/50 on the icons, but most of them still look nice. I really like the typeface and general UI tweaks.

1 Like

My Barclaycard working on iOS 14 too. Only app that is not working is Starling, I donā€™t even use it so itā€™s fine. Haha :joy:

1 Like

Iā€™m waiting for OpenCore to be updated to support Big Sur and iā€™ll grab it (I donā€™t really use MacOS, so itā€™s fine)

Yeah itā€™s a Hackintosh, because I can use my current PC with MacOS and Windows for gaming, so why not.

So I had a play around with widgets today, and I really canā€™t see the point of them

I know the Android community have been waiting for iOS widgets like the messiah and now they have them. But I find them pointless. They take up so much room on my screen, and provide little value.

It takes me one swipe to go left to the widget screen and see them there; and Iā€™d much rather be able to access more of my apps quickly than see the weather in a giant box.

The widgets do look good at least

1 Like