Apple Pay at ATMs

Hey!!

I’m in Gran Canaria at the moment and when using the ATM it had the contactless logo so I used Apple Pay instead of putting my card in.

The ATM then went through the process of asking for my pin and the amount I want to withdraw. However, it then said the bank declined the transaction?

I then used my card instead and it went through with no problems. Was this an error or do Monzo not support Apple Pay/Contactless at cash points? If not, is this something that may be supported in future?

2 Likes

@Rika may know the answer to this one?

I have noticed some Barclays ATMs here in the UK have got contactless bits on now. I didn’t use it, but here’s an article https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/nov/22/barclays-unveils-contactless-cash-withdrawals

I was in Gran Canaria for pride last month and noticed the same. Didn’t try to use it though.

So your contactless card worked OK? Interesting.

Interesting.

I wonder if it could ever be the case that you just walk to an ATM, tap, and automatically £10 (or what you set, up to the maximum allowed in a store) just pops out. No pin, nothing.

I only envisage this as you can do this (essentially) currently in a store.

Apple Pay works in all the bars etc just not at the cash point for some reason. It went through all the motions of asking for a pin and amount but then said the bank declined it.

It would be great if it was rolled out, you’d never need to carry a wallet again! :pray:t2:

Just to be clear, you used your Monzo card contactless at an ATM? I was under the impression you had to use a card from the same bank as the ATM belonged to if you wanted to use contactless.

It’d be great if you could use any card contactless (no more cards getting stuck in machines).

I used my card the manual way and put it in the card reader. It was only with Apple Pay I tried it with the contactless.

1 Like

Ah - I sort of got the impression from your post that you used contactless with your card, but that Apple Pay specifically didn’t go through.

The post really should be “Contactless at ATMs” as we’re not specifically needing to use Apple Pay for this to be a thing.

1 Like

Contactless (including Apple Pay) at ATMs is a bit of an unknown at this point.

Theoretically, this should already be supported where it’s a standard ATM transaction. However, in many cases, it’s locked down to that bank’s cards or requires an Android application. The error messages can also be misleading (for example, “your issuer has declined this transaction” when it was actually declined at the acquirer or network level). :cry:

I’m still collecting data points for where/how this is supported in the real world. If anybody sees this working or sees a decline in their feed following an attempt, please let me know and I’ll look into it! I’d love to see this working. :+1:

11 Likes

I used it in Austria. It worked fine. Feel free to look through my transaction history for details!

To clarify, I THINK I used my card not my phone, but it was contactless for sure. That’s the bit I remembered LOL

2 Likes

Given that the PIN is associated with the card, I’d be surprised if it worked with the phone too. Personally, in my ignorance I’d expect a different PiN would be required for the phone which Monzo don’t issue (if the concept is even valid).

Samsung claim it is possible with Samsung Pay

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00044090/

I would have thought although your not using the card the ATM would know what the PIN number is from the card number being logged on the device?

That said, I wasn’t expecting it to ask for a pin with Apple Pay as you verify the card with Face/Touch ID?

1 Like

ATMs don’t use the PIN on the card, they use the online PIN which is stored by the card issuer(?).

This is how Monzo ‘know’ your PIN.

2 Likes

As far as I know, only online PIN is a valid CVM for ATMs, CDCVM is not a valid CVM for ATM use. Granted, that’s from Visa’s rules, I couldn’t in my two minutes of searching quickly find Mastercard’s policy.

2 Likes

That makes sense because if you change your pin the banks can still send you a pin reminder or the new pin would show in the Monzo app so they must store it somewhere other than on the card