Android Pay comes to the Monzo current account!

This is one of the reasons Google had to work very hard with TfL to build an implementation that worked on the Tube. It is isn’t really public knowledge how it works but somehow TfL is able to associate two individual “virtual” card numbers generated by the phone.

1 Like

I’ve never tried Apple Pay on the Oyster system simply because I assumed that they couldn’t merge the data from the phone to the card so I’d never see it in my history. If they’ve got a bit clever with it, and worked all this out I probably ought to give it a go one day.

They do. Add your real card number and it all appears, automagically! Worth adding as a backup to Oyster anyway, just in case.

1 Like

I never used Android pay on the tube as typically l see people get stuck at the barriers because they haven’t prep’d their phone first or isn’t reading right. The Londoner in my can’t help getting annoyed by that.

I kept my Oyster card as l have a Railcard. Can add some Railcards to an Oyster card and get the benefit of discounted rail/travel card (that’s my top money saving tip for today).

Android Police have pretty big reach with Android folk such as myself :wink: So I’m sure there’s going to be plenty more people rushing towards Monzo now that we’ve got Android pay!

Sidenote, back when I joined Monzo last year the only thing that made me hesitate was the lack of Android Pay, I’d just gotten used to it with my ‘normal’ banks and I didn’t want to go back to the stone age :joy: But I’m very glad that I went down the hot coral road! :smiley:

Fingers crossed that plenty of excited UK Android fans jump onto the Monzo CA waiting list!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There is a thread for this already :thinking:

1 Like

:smiley: Free publicity which is good

I notice however that this page https://www.android.com/intl/en_uk/pay/participating-banks/ hasn’t been updated yet, perhaps because the account is in beta still or perhaps just because they are slow :frowning:

1 Like

And if a leader wants to merge this then that’s cool :slight_smile:

But it’s a news article :smile: Plenty of stand-alone threads for these :wink:

1 Like

They’ve been added to this list which is linked to in the app: https://support.google.com/androidpay/answer/7351534?visit_id=1-636445386622681528-1868342851&p=banklist&rd=1

2 Likes

:tada:

Monzo made it onto the list :wink: (the main list that is haha)

Soooo Monzo… Any plans to support this new Android Pay feature?

Looks interesting, maybe unnecessary (as the Monzo app is already fantastic! :wink:)? But kinda cool nevertheless :smiley:

2 Likes

I noticed Monzo logo is. Not clickable unlike most other bank logos which if clicked takes to their website. This might change or Monzo staff should get it change because it’s sort of free promotion.

Uhm how? It’s a Google run site: Google are the ones that manage it.

I’m sure that Monzo can specify a link to an appropriately Monzo-ey page discussing Android Pay…

My guess (and it’s only a guess mind you :smiley:) is that the bank in question can talk to their Google/AP contact person and send them a link. :slight_smile:

In the same way that Monzo likely provided a logo for Google to use, etc.

What I don’t think that @alisufyan is saying is that Monzo should jump onto Google’s HTML and start tweaking :joy:

2 Likes

I thought Google were an experimentally open company that allowed anyone to fiddle with their webpages like a Wiki. That’s how some companies get to the top of search. They can employ more people to constantly edit the page so they’re at the top. Duh!

1 Like

I rather thought the issue was that the logo was linked at all?!

Where’s the issue in linking from Android Pay to a [Insert company here] landing page? :stuck_out_tongue:

(if that’s what you mean)

1 Like

Well I agree… :stuck_out_tongue:

I congratulate you on your hard work. I’ve just received my current account card and have already added it to Android Pay. This is incredibly useful - thanks again.

3 Likes

Because in truth, there’s nothing technically really stopping a refund being sent to any card. It’s just policy to put it back to the card the purchase was made on.