AirTags, Will you be using them?

One thing I did read is that if you return home with an airtag that isn’t yours, you’ll get a notification which I thought was quite clever.

1 Like

UpThereTag™

It’s only a matter of time before the first Doctor/Emergency Room has to remove one.

1 Like

So I bought four yesterday, and a key ring and bag strap. They were ridiculously easy to setup (just put them next to the phone) and I have my keys, backpack and jacket all covered now, with a spare.

Finding my tent in a festival is never going to be an impossible task again, especially if Apple integrates tracking onto my Watch, with a haptic tap like a homing beacon.

The key ring accessory is great, but the longer bag strap feels a little flimsy. Looking forward to seeing how these perform.

6 Likes

Like that.

1 Like

Is a U1 chip in an Apple Watch feasible? At the moment only the iPhone?
Will be a hardware upgrade/ new watch required though!

Yeah, I don’t know about the hardware/software practicalities I’m afraid.

Ha, love this.

I’m hoping the new AirPods have the same technology built in… I’m always losing them

1 Like

Apple need to update their AutoCorrect. So far I’ve called them airbags, air attacks and air tables

I hope they or someone releases an app for Android to check or monitor if a tag is following you around.

I’m fairly sure the tag will just start beeping at some point to alert you.

And they can be scanned by Android phones to reveal some info.

1 Like

Oh, it’s the tags that beep? I thought the phones give you a notification , I guess it makes sense the tags beep.

Can it be turned off, say if you have a 2nd work phone which could trigger it?

If the tag is with the owners phone then it won’t alert you, so with a work phone you’re okay.

If someone hid one in your bag to see where you lived, you’re worse off with an Android phone. iOS will alert you that you’ve arrived home with a tag that isn’t yours, but it will take 3 days for it to start making noise.

1 Like

Need to have an accessory for the Apple pen 1st gen, my daughter has lost one already :joy:

3rd gen will probs have one built in :joy:

Don’t give TikTok ideas “Swallowing airtag challenge”

AirTag stalking test…

Some observations by reviewer relevant if victim is an iPhone user

You’ll only receive an alert if you have an iPhone running iOS 14.5.

Now, if you’re wondering what Apple meant when it said safety alerts from unwanted AirTags would appear onscreen “over time,” the answer to that would be: two hours. That’s how long it took for my roommate to receive a safety alert once they left the apartment. But rather than disable the AirTag, they cleared the notification to see what would happen. The notification then appeared every few hours or so, and stopped for a bit before popping up again.

Some observations from reviewer relevant if victim is not an iPhone user

If you don’t have an iPhone with iOS 14.5 or you have an Android phone, then you’ll have to wait for the unwanted AirTag to emit a sound — that takes about three days.

As for that sound it’s supposed to play after three days — well, it’s been almost a week since I gave my roommates the AirTags and they still haven’t made a peep. But that’s likely because I have yet to be away from either of them for the three full days needed.

1 Like

Sounds like it should work great for tracking my kids.

They’re mostly at home or at school so they’d never hit the three days needed to set off the speaker.

Only issue now is that the Mrs doesn’t have an iPhone so useless for her.

I’ve been using mine for a while now

Seems like you have a new goal

It’s kinda of an issue that they can’t just update FindMy for people not on 14.5, they have no reason they can’t.

Seems like a safety issue to me, or i’m just salty, because I have to decide: AirTags or keep my jailbreak, which IMO is more useful

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that just emit a beeping constantly though? It’s not really designed for things you spend a lot of time away from.

Edit: actually maybe it’s a rather long time away from the parent iPhone before it starts beeping?