AirTags, Will you be using them?

Popped this in Travelling because this is where I think AirTags could come in fairly handy! imagine misplacing your wallet, anyone with an iphone near by can update the location or contact you (of course this doesn’t mean they’ll give it back to you)

Only downside, which makes little sense, is you apparently NEED to be on iOS 14.5

BareTag™

When an AirTag with a Hermes/premium carrier is stolen/lost and the Hermes/premium case has been removed for re-sale and the AirTag is cast aside like an unwanted Babybel into a bush somewhere.

You recover the £29 item, but not the £400 accessory :cry:

5 Likes

Nope, Samsung Galaxy SmartTag all the way for me.

1 Like

I have ordered a 4 pack

3 Likes

Shame that Samsung don’t do a Thom Browne edition SmartTag, my mate showed me one today - seems like the same thing for Android (mostly)

Give it time and they might……… you never know i guess.

1 Like

When I first saw Hermes, I thought “Why would I want a tag made by a delivery company, and £350? what are they smoking”

They look visually pleasing, but £350 for a holder, come on… obviously designed for the people that spend 2K on a handbag. Nothing wrong with that, if you have the money to spend. Just not something most people will buy

1 Like

Idea has been about for over a decade. I used Chipolo tags for a while, very useful. Tech has moved on and range is much better, reason why Apple have joined the party. Worth looking at Chipolo as an alternative, been in the business longer and their tag works with Apple Find My too.

1 Like

this one is even crazier pricing Apple AirTag Hermes travel tag | Hermès USA

There is already some AirTag chat here, including a surprise early delivery from Facebook marketplace which may or may not be real: https://community.monzo.com/t/apple-april-event/

As this is in the main Monzo category and Travelling with Monzo subcategory I’m not sure how fitting it is

But to answer the question, yes, I’ll be getting one when JL start selling them because I’m a sucker for all things new and shiny and Apple. I think I’ll pop it on my keys which I never once lost. Maybe now? :speak_no_evil:

I don’t quite know how they’d work with wallets – mine is a minimal slim cardholder wallet, but even with bulkier ones, do you attach one or put it inside? Doesn’t seem like an elegant solution

4 Likes

I ordered a pack of 4, the leather key ring in blue, and the loop, also in blue. Engraved one of the tags with my dog’s name, because it’s short enough to fit. It’s for anti-loss not anti-theft, so I’m not concerned with the name being on there. The other three are blank.

One will be used as part of my extensive setup to prevent against her loss. Huskies are smart, sneaky escapologists. Adamant I’d never be outwitted by a dog, I’m not always the weakest link to be exploited. 5 times in her life she has escaped. Each time I was convinced she’d never pull it off again, until she did. Best I accept her intellectual superiority and that the next time is just an eventuality at this point.

One will go on my suitcase for when I’m able to travel again. The other two I’ll keep aside as spares until there’s a moment I have a use for them. Perhaps one will go in my backpack for local business commutes,

4 Likes

If I had a pet I’d get one for them, definitely. But as it is, I think I’ll just be able to repurpose the existing one as and when needed – normally on keys, and on the bag when commuting/travelling

1 Like

I’m going to buy some for an elaborate game of hide and seek.

3 Likes

Embedded AirTag :dog::poo: bags - find it on your way back & dispose of it properly

dog-poo-on-a-tree2

2 Likes

All the Airtags are is a direct rip off of the Tile tags, so think ill stick with them… and a lot cheaper :slight_smile:

1 Like

So they should be. They aren’t as good.

13 Likes

Not really a ripoff. Just a usual Apple product, late, but with the formula perfected

5 Likes

Exactly. I’m planning on moving from Tile to Airtags, as I suspect a lot of people will.

5 Likes

Reminds me of these videos they used to play at WWDC

Where others perceive first as valuable, you value the first thing that matters.

That’s something I think captures Apple’s approach to many if not all things they do. They’re rarely first, but they’re often best, and it’s their product that winds up being the one that matters most and actually changes lives.

That’s what they’ve done now with Airtags. Tile was first, but Apple’s Find My network is the first that actually matters. It’s the only one of the two large enough to actually make this idea work well enough that it can actually fulfil its purpose.

9 Likes

I wish there was an open standard, that they all used

6 Likes