AirTags, Will you be using them?

Has anyone seen any nice wallets yet with a section designed for an AirTag?

Very close to AirTag purchase…

1 Like

Do it.

1 Like

2 Likes

I’ll be grabbing some as soon as 14.5 gets a jailbreak - not giving up my tweaks for Airtags

He used to be my boss.

For real.

1 Like

So you might say you used to be his… Apprentice?

2 Likes

Irrespective of what I said previously, today I learned that

Since 2018 all new cars sold across the EU have been required to have an eCall system that automatically contacts the emergency services with the vehicle’s location in the event of a serious accident. It is a sophisticated set-up using the car’s navigation system and airbag sensors, and it has its own mobile phone sim card.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that those cars can connect to the internet, but it does mean that all newish cars could connect to the internet.

Source:

2 Likes

Will parents start air tagging their young children I wonder?

Not all the time but on trips to park, shops, etc.

2 Likes
1 Like

But will parents pay any attention? :thinking:

According to Drance [Apple exec] parents who want to keep an eye on their child might be better off using an Apple Watch with Family Setup instead

In other words she’d rather parents buy a £279 accessory than a £29 accessory!

3 Likes

One that can be easily seen and removed

When mine were young I’d have definitely got air tags for when we were out

These days they’re in front of the switch or PS5 so locating them isn’t as much of an issue :grin:

3 Likes

TBH this is the only AirTags use that I’d actually care about but since they’re specifically designed not to track people I didn’t bother buying any to try.

I think it’s more about Apple staking a position so it’s not sued when some irresponsible parents try to actually rely on AirTags to look after their kids remotely.

7 Likes

You missed the £7 a month for the service to go with the watch.

1 Like

Sounds like this to me too. In the Rene interview, it was mentioned they aren’t designed for tracking pets but then went on to explain that they expect users might want to and how it would work for that.

Also, they can be engraved with various pet emojis. Why, if they’re not meant to be used with pets? :thinking:

I suspect pet usage is going to arise similarly to folks using iPod nano as a watch back in the day, so we’ll end up seeing revisions to the product with a focus on that specific use. Or perhaps a potential pivot into a new iPhone accessory designed for pet collars or something, and an accompanying app. I think there is a potential untapped market there, currently only occupied by cheap, shady, Chinese companies.

I’m tempted to get one for my dog just as an excuse to play with a shiny new Apple toy. Only other thing I’d use it for is sticking one in my bag.

1 Like

But what aspect of the anti-stalking features would render them useless for guarding against losing a child?

Other iPhone users would only get notified of the presence of the Airtag if they start moving with the lost child, but that would be useful wouldn’t it?

2 Likes

I’m waiting for the news headline where we find someone has swallowed one to see if it can still be tracked

4 Likes

What may be most interesting is what 3rd parties come up with under the Find My accessory program rather than what Apple come up with themselves

1 Like