AirTags, Will you be using them?

Absolutely fair enough. I put it there as they are related to travel really :smiley:

What did the Apple website say about privacy, when you looked?

2 Likes

Probably something along the lines of “every breath you take, every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take I’ll be watching you”

In other news, this morning they disappeared from the JL website – I hope it’s just a product page update before they’re allowing orders on Friday

1 Like

Nothing about people scanning for them and finding your valuables.

Because that’s not how they work.

4 Likes

Apple Pay is a great example. Android had NFC for so long and it was just a novelty. It took Apple to make contactless payments mainstream.

5 Likes

Ordered 2, 1 for my car as a car tracker incase it’s stolen and 1 for my keys as I can keep hold of my wallet and phone but keys, always end up getting lost.

Dunno may get one for my backpack too.

I say this as a non-car owner but I really feel like cars should be traceable in 2021?? Like they surely have GPS anyway, how much extra work could that be to just let you see your car on a map from some website.

You can, but for a high price/subscription. So people tend to only do it for really high value cars.

2 Likes

My car is a base model and getting pretty old. (No plans to change it as i’m happy)

Why does a car need GPS, it’s something else to break or be locked down or charged for by the manufacturer.

They have GPS, but it’s unusual for them to have an Internet connection (though some do, and I’d expect it eventually to be as common as sat nav now is). They usually connect to the internet through the owner’s phone.

I see. Yeah that seems very abrasive - surely GPS is p cheap these days?

I was more working on the assumption that they already did but it wasn’t being leveraged in a consumer-friendly way as opposed to suggesting they should.

So query here - I had thought for a while that GPS and internet were separate? I’ve noted when I have no phone signal in quite odd places I sometimes still have GPS and can actually see my location updating despite having no internet.

They are separate (which is why you can see your own location on your phone without internet connection). But there needs to be a way to report GPS location to service provider or other device if it’s to be used for remote tracking.

3 Likes

Oh lol of course. Okay this all makes sense.

So car would need GPS and internet to have anti-theft built in.

2 Likes

Phones use several methods to determine your location. GPS works well where you have good sight of the sky, but less well in heavily wooded areas, heavily built up areas, or indoors. Your phone will also triangulate using mobile phone masts, wifi hot spots, and, occasionally, bluetooth beacons.

1 Like

GPS is receive only.
WiFi/2g/3g/4g/5g & Bluetooth/NFC is send and receive.

GPS works by receiving the low-level signal from a group of 31 satellites to triangulate your position in-between them, then mapping software plots your calculated position on a 2D map. It works wherever it can see a portion of sky. GPS works on planes (as a passenger) when an unobstructed path to a side window is available. It’s amazing to watch where you’re flying over (but you’ll need the mapping data available to your device, either via internet connection or cached locally) - and how fast!

WiFi needs an access point and 2g/3g/4g/5g needs to be within range of a cell tower/device.
Then there are Internet connections via satellite on larger vehicles (Planes, Ships) which convert the Satellite connection to WiFi and Cell repeaters for use on board.

The combination of GPS, WiFi & Cell connections can be very accurate.

5 Likes

#Starlink may be going mobile soon too - so a ship won’t have slow ass internet using Viasat or Hughesnet geo stationary satellites either, pretty exciting

2 Likes

Yeah, I left Starlink out because it isn’t running yet (on larger moving transportation) - but it is exciting.

And they’ve now got permission to launch a lower orbit set, so the latency will no doubt reduce and overall speed increase :artificial_satellite:

2 Likes

Lol at this email from Chipolo…

Pre-order available in two weeks so guess that’s when price will be available too.

2 Likes

Problem with tall buildings