A case for an iPad app or web-based login?

While I’m excited for what Monzo has to offer in the future, the issue for me is; If I’ve got my phone and my card/wallet in my bag, and I’ve left my bag on the train, and I’m stuck in London, how am I going to freeze my card, with my Santander, I’d get to the location I was heading and access my bank through there, a web interface is almost a “MUST” for me (Somewhat rhetorical, not looking for an answer, just putting the scenario out there)

In terms of mobile application, it may be worth looking at a PWA (Progressive web app) as I don’t give it more than 10-20 years before instead of installing applications we’ll be bookmarking a PWA to use. Perhaps “Online first” would be better than “Smartphone only”, you’re limiting your target audience by doing smartphone only, it’s one of the reasons some people I know won’t register.

Google is already on this route with their FuchsiaOS, whereby they’re limiting installed apps, and you can bookmark a website and use it the same way you would an application. Microsoft has also moved their focus towards stopping users installing things, and iOS from 10 I think allows you to use PWA’s efficiently.

On another note, you only have to develop for one platform, web. Currently you have a team of Android developers, team of iOS developers and that’s great, making sure the base is covered, however if you had one small team of PWA/Web developers, you’d have an application for Desktops, Laptops, Tablets, iOS, Android, Windows, Consoles, anything that could access the internet.

Infographic on PWAs: https://insanelab.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/xprogressive-web-apps-infographic-1120x1680.jpg.pagespeed.ic.4CRLJQoCDu.webp

3 Likes

With pretty much any bank now you’d be hosed… if your phone is gone you lost your 2FA so you can’t log into the web page anyway.

With Barclays, Lloyds and TSB I can log in without a card reader (Barclays have one but you can bypass it by using passwords, passcodes, memorable data) or 2FA…so not sure what you mean by “pretty much any bank”

1 Like

Any bank where you want security anyway… Using a web based bank without 2FA isn’t somehing I would do… and being able to bypass it would be an instant ‘close account’ situation for me.

when you see the huge card readers Barclays etc have it is a laugh. Nordea have a number generator about 4cm x 2.5cm and about twice the thickness of a bank card, it is tiny in comparison.

1 Like

Yes the first direct one used to annoy the crap out of me… enter code, hold down button for 5 seconds, read off code… want to pay anyone? Repeat, but this time a different button…

I was fairly resistant to 2FA via mobile in the early days because of things like flat batteries/phone upgrades (still have a keyring full of 2FA dongles for various services) but in practice it hasn’t really been an issue & now have over a dozen codes in authy. Of course the side effect is that the phone is absolutely critical for daily use - I’d rather someone took my car than my phone…

1 Like

when I first used a phone it was mainly for calls, but now I run so many apps such as banking, maps, email, etc the battery life can’t cope. They should go away from such slim phones and make them twice the depth so they can have a chunkier battery more up to the job.

1 Like

I agree. I have an iPhone 6 and have pretty much always needed to keep it in its Mophie Juice Pack (which I can definitely recommend btw).

Yep, I wouldn’t trust this. Which is why I use a VPN.

1 Like

?? I use a VPN too but that wouldn’t be any use if I have to log in on a public computer, which is a really bad idea.

The VPN is only any use if logging in on a public network but with your own device. It wouldn’t stop a keylogger on a public computer.

1 Like

A mobile only bank could translate to mobile device. A tablet is a mobile device.
A web first bank would sound better.
As much as I hear that a web interface is only an afterthought, it should really be promoted to an actual thing that is rolled out. There is no reason not to have one. All the infrastructure is in place.

5 Likes

Sure, but engineering time. What would you prefer first? CASS? Better Pots stuff? Improved DDs? Better Payments screen? Fingerprint support for Android?

Everyone has different priorities however sadly some things to have to come before others and as much as we’d like to launch all of these great features instantly, sadly that isn’t possible.

This is why the forum is so great though :+1: You people keep us on our toes, making sure we’re building a Bank for the future :slight_smile:

4 Likes

want everything now please :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Completely understandable, but not an excuse. I work in infrastructure for a local authority, I know what kind of demands are made daily, is which is why we have different people assigned to different projects all while supporting day to day.
Monzo has been very vocal that they have made lots of new hires, so in turn, so should the feature set rollout be turned up a pace.
I’ve been with Monzo since August '16 and (moved everything the following august to the CA), new features/fixes were being rolled out on a much quicker timeline back then. The last few months, seems to have gone a bit stagnant, also nowhere as transparent as it used to be. Could it be that it’s becoming a victim of it’s own success?

However I do know what I’m getting out of my account as I use it daily, but to say it is mobile only is just silly. Its not saying that maybe, maybe not a web interface is coming. It should be more direct and say we have one planned or we don’t. That will help people make their minds up if they want to move.

4 Likes

I was always told I want doesn’t get :joy::rofl:

2 Likes

I’m sorry you feel that way - what questions can I answer?

(If you do some bullet points I’ll do my best to go and find answers! :slight_smile: )

1 Like

actually looking at that list I would prefer an app for tablets or a Windows app

2 Likes

No questions, what I meant was more regular updates, more insight to what was happening and when ETA was. Now it seems to have gone the way of Soon™️

5 Likes

Unfortunately there’s not much more to say right now. Golden tickets should be rolled out fully this week. Were migrating prepaid. Over Christmas it slowed down a bit due to holiday staff probably needed. I’m not Monzo entrenched yet so I don’t know the ins and outs. But everything I do know, has been relayed by fully fledged members of staff.

1 Like

There seem to be some staff on here with a Monzo icon on their profile pic and others without! Will this be rectified at some point?