XBOX Series X

Xbox Have confirmed the Series S pricing

1 Like

The Series S looks like something I would go for as I’m no longer that much into gaming so don’t care too much about available resolution

The lack of a disc drive is a bummer though. I have some of my favourite games on discs…

1 Like

If it was a phone or something I upgrade more frequently then I’d definitely get the Series S.

But I’ve had a 360/One since launch day both times, so I keep them a fair while. So in 3/4/5 years time when I’ve finally bought a 4K TV, will I regret that my console is stuck in 2020?

Confirmed at £249 in the UK, will be a bargain as a stream machine alongside xCloud!

5 Likes

Yeah that’s a p great price.

I won’t be buying until Summer 2021 I reckon so will probs just pick up an X in some sort of sale/bundle etc.

1 Like

That’s my thinking. Spread the price over 4/5/whatever years and another £100-200 to really future proof seems quite sensible to me at least.

2 Likes

They must be breaking even or making a loss on that console. Sounds like they’re betting the house on Games Pass.

£249 is such a good price.

May be wrong but I feel like I remember reading they made a loss on the One or 360 too?

And that maybe it’s always the case that they make more after sale through games and subscriptions.

No disk drive kills it for me but looks an excellent gamepass machine.

New console trailer:

And some tech specs:

I remember Microsoft definitely made a loss on each 360, and Sony also made a loss on each PS3.

I haven’t bought consoles since that generation, but I wouldn’t expect anything has changed materially. Seems the console is effectively a loss leader to get you into the ecosystem, and then the profit comes from everything you spend after that (Microsoft Gold, points, etc)

1 Like
  • EA Play being bundled with gamepass for free.

Let the hype begin.

2 Likes

Xbox all access pricing:

• Series X with gamepass ultimate £28.99 for 24 months

• Series S with gamepass ultimate £20.99 for 24 months

When you factor in that gamepass is £10.99 per month, Xbox all access works out cheaper than buying the console outright. :thinking:

1 Like

I am so going with all access, Microsoft are killing it!

1 Like

Must admit, all access is tempting me into a day 1 upgrade, where I otherwise would have held out for Halo before diving in.

I was also pretty set on the Series S despite being underwhelmed by the storage. Does it have the same storage expansion option as the series X?

An additional £8 per month makes it much easier to justify a jump to the series X for the additional horsepower and storage. I kind of wish there was a middle option with the specs of the X but the lack of a disc drive, which I don’t want or need.

Microsoft have got a lot right this time around in the hardware and services department.

1 Like

In the UK, Xbox All Access is exclusive to GAME and Smyths Toys, who act as the credit intermediaries.

1 Like

The Series S looks great, and although I feel like I need a disc drive I’ll probably pick one up on launch.

I’ve always been an Xbox man, but traded the One X for a PS4 Pro last summer because of the exclusives. Terrible choice — it’s loud, I miss the Elite controller, and I really don’t like the look of the PS5. Microsoft have totally won me back.

1 Like

That Series S price has changed the game, honestly.

Microsoft have been super smart in making the all digital console less powerful. The BOM probably isn’t all that much lower for the Series S compared to the Series X, but they can count on massive margins from the Xbox Store. Having the console be less powerful hides how much money they’re making locking out non-Microsoft sales.

I wouldn’t want to be Sony right now. I guess they’ll have to sell the all-digital PS5 at a huge discount to what they were hoping. Anything more than $399 for the digital PS5 is going to be a hard sell, and I suspect they wanted that to start at $449 or more…

My only gripe with the series S is that storage. 1TB on Xbox one S is barely enough for my library. The rumoured pricing for the expanded storage exceeds $200, at which point, I might as well just go for the series X.

Series X without a disc drive at £399 would have sealed the deal for me.

Storage would be less of a contention point if gamepass streaming would be coming to the consoles too.

Would also have happily bought a discless X. Just no need anymore for me. Presumably next gen, if there even is one, will have that as an option.

Agree also that 512GB just doesn’t seem enough. I wouldn’t be totally put off by it if I wanted the S but would surely want to buy extra at some point. Sort of spreading the cost I guess?

1 Like