What's the one book you really want to finish but can't? šŸ“š

Sooooo, I picked up Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari in December but I havenā€™t been able to finish it. Itā€™s super-interesting but I really struggle with non-fiction and have been super slow with it :sob: Am just wondering, is this just me? Or do other people pick up books theyā€™re super enthusiastic about and then just leave it half-read and unloved?

(TBH I picked it up mostly because it was on Barack Obamaā€™s reading list. I think that man is too cool for school.)

My boyfriend says the same about Stephen Hawkingā€™s A Brief History of Time, so I have one other outlier :joy:

1 Like

War and Peace! Itā€™s been a curse for years. Itā€™s the names, i canā€™t remember who is who, Iā€™m constantly flicking back to see when they were mentioned before and who exactly they are :face_with_head_bandage:

One dayā€¦

1 Like

Oh wow, thatā€™s ambitious. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever attempt it! I couldnā€™t even do Anna Karenina. (Heck, I couldnā€™t even watch the BBC adaptation of War & Peaceā€¦)

1 Like

Iā€™m also 58% through sapiens after initially starting around December time. I think Iā€™ll get back on it and finish it off this week. Agreed, itā€™s a really interesting book!

1 Like

Right? I find myself thinking about it a lot. And then goingā€¦ ā€œI really should finish that bookā€

I think itā€™s more because of the way /style itā€™s been written in and I think it could have been written a lot simpler. Iā€™d still recommend it as a good book though and itā€™s been really enlightening!

I agree! Though itā€™s nothing compared to the law books I used to have to read for my degree. Now that was boring :zzz:

GAME OF THRONES.

Oh god that book is just the absolute bane of my life. I started it years ago, over time Iā€™ve read about 75% of it and I just canā€™t for the life of me finish it!

1 Like

I bought the book about Trumpā€¦ I got bored tbh but I wanted to see if there was anything to change my opinion

Nope.

1 Like

When I started the Red Rising series of books, I really couldnā€™t start the first novel. It didnā€™t draw me in. Took me a few weeks, but after I knuckled down to get past those first few chapters, itā€™s one of the best books Iā€™ve read and I finished it in a couple of days and the series in 2 weeks.

1 Like

OMG I havenā€™t even attempted it! Good on you to try it though, salutes

I actually went to see the author in conversation with Armando Iannucci (he did The Thick of It) and he didnā€™t come across that well, tbh. Fascinating and dark stuff though! (ā€¦ And I didnā€™t read the book before I went to the event :see_no_evil:

I used to feel quite guilty about doing this. I came to realise that there is still a lot of value in reading half a book. This is especially true when the authors put all the important stuff in the first half!

2 Likes

Haha! Any great first-half-of-a-book examples?

Have you ever watched 1956 movie with Audrey Hepburn and Henry Fonda?

The Bible

2 Likes

Canā€™t say that I have!

Thinking Fast and Slow - I love the premise, and Iā€™ve read the synopses, but itā€™s SO DRY! Get me a ghost writerā€¦ PLEASE?

Does anyone else subscribe to Eric Barkerā€™s emails? He summarises the latest thoughts on various topics, this week is about how to sleep better, I really like it https://www.bakadesuyo.com/2018/04/how-to-sleep-better/?utm_source=ā€œBarking+Up+The+Wrong+Treeā€+Weekly+Newsletter&utm_campaign=7bcfbc007b-sleep_4_15_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_78d4c08a64-7bcfbc007b-57025465

Or like a ghost reader who like reads everything for you and you just get all the info? :joy:

1 Like

But thatā€™s Eric! His book is well worth reading https://amzn.to/2GZQV8K

1 Like

I have a lot of half-abandoned lit books I had to read because of my degree- I confess to writing a lot of essays in exams on books Iā€™ve just barely skimmed. Jane Eyre is easy to read but so boring to me, I skipped doing English Literature at A Levels because it covered Jane Eyre (as well as books from the Victorian period).

I have recently abandoned Banvilleā€™s ā€˜The Seaā€™ (Booker winner) and another Booker prize nominee, ā€˜On Beautyā€™. One wasā€¦ self-wankery and convinced of its cleverness and the other was over-descriptive and read like a bad fanfiction. Booker lists usually disappoint so I donā€™t pay attention to it anymore.

2 Likes