What books couldn't you put down? ๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š

(knows someone who knows Tom quite well) #1

There have been a few books that Iโ€™ve read on one sitting. One that springs to mind that almost nobody will know is called Talk Down by Brian Lecomber - about a woman whoโ€™s partner dies at the controls of a light aircraft and the rather rapid learning experience she goes through.

I read it from start to finish in one afternoon, simply couldnโ€™t stop. Heart stopping excitement.

(What are your favourites?)

What's the one book you really want to finish but can't? ๐Ÿ“š
(Brenda Wong) #2

Iโ€™ve just finished The Bees by Laline Paull. It was disturbing, unique, and totally original. Perspective was from a lowly worker bee in a hive (whaaaaat :honeybee:)

@DaveTMG That book sounds thrilling! I love a good heart-racer.

(Eve) #3

A lot of the books I couldnโ€™t put down were read as a child/ teen. Eg Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, The Inheritance Cycle (Eragon), Lionboy, Jurassic Park.

I absolutely love fantasy/ sci-fi themes since it lends itself very well to the sort of immersion/ escapism that we often seek. I enjoy reading books by comedians and funny autobiographies. Joe Lycettโ€™s โ€œParsnips, Butteredโ€ is a fave and Geraldine (Everywhereist)'s book โ€œAll Over The Placeโ€ is excellent too. She has a really good article/recipe for pizza cinnamon rolls in response to Mario Bataliโ€™s sexual misconduct (non)apology letter here.

If youโ€™re into financeโ€ฆ Recently finished Black Edge by Sheelah Kolhatkar, itโ€™s the story about Steve Cohen and SAC Capital that the show Billions was based on, really good read.

(knows someone who knows Tom quite well) #5

On the sci-fi theme, I really enjoyed Body of Glass by Marge Piercy, it was remarkably prescient on the evolution of attack and defence on the internet.

If you want a light but good read Mark Watson Eleven or Hotel Alpha.

Got eleven on offer and it was so good I kept on reading and I immediately downloaded Hotel Alpha. I didnโ€™t expect much from a comedian so maybe thatโ€™s why I enjoyed them so much.

(knows someone who knows Tom quite well) #7

I love a good light read, will check them out.

My guilty pleasure is PD Jamesโ€ฆ love a good detective mystery!

I really like anything by John Grisham because itโ€™s interesting yet light reading. Iโ€™ve read three of his books lately.

(Eve) #9

Iโ€™ll defo check out those books, comedians tend to write in witty/ self-deprecating humour which I really enjoy.