What's the one book you really want to finish but can't? šŸ“š

Jane Eyre had its good bits but maaaaaan it was too long (and also Jane why you go back to Rochester?!!)

Iā€™ve been trying to read more diversely, so just pre-ordered Ponti by Sharlene Teo (a Singaporean writer) so Iā€™m super excited! Youā€™re so right about Booker prize lists. Over them :sleeping:

1 Like

What about The Restraint of Beasts or The Industry of souls or The Handmaidā€™s Tale or Nice Work or The English Patient or Disgrace or Life of Pi or Cloud Atlas? All amazing books!

1 Like

I couldnā€™t finish the brief life of oscar wao.

1 Like

Not brief enough?

1 Like

Aw I really enjoyed that book!

Wolf Hall. I know it was raved about, but I just hated the style of writing.

I havenā€™t read the Trump book yet, but my partner did and he found it a difficult book to keep reading - again the writing style just didnā€™t keep interest.

1 Like

Handmaidā€™s Tale, yes!!!

I didnā€™t read Cloud Atlas, only watched the pretty terrible movie. Might pick it up now youā€™ve recommended it @davetmg

1 Like

I canā€™t get invested into the characters enough especially the mother.

Ah I absolutely adore Kazuo Ishiguroā€™s work, Remains of the day is good and Never let me go is an all time favorite of mine.

1 Like

I finish most books I try - or at least go back to them later and manage to carry on after a break, but Sapiens was one I was happy to give up. I enjoyed the first half, but then he started coming up with theories rather than giving any evidence, it was all religion based rather than scientific facts or theories and it really wound me up.

The book I want to finish but didnā€™t is The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

Two years ago I left this half way and this thread reminded me of that.

1 Like

The book is definitely better than the movie, but takes some commitment because it is almost recursive, you have to hold two stories in your head while you finish the third and then back out completing the other twoā€¦

I loved The Restraint of Beasts, very cleverly funny though it is subtle and deadpan.

I was predisposed to dislike The Industry of Souls - I never found Russian gulags particularly interesting - but the book is so good it pulled me in and won me over.

Coetzee is such a wordsmith, he writes as I would like to, spare and succinct, carefully crafted. Disgrace was a worthy winner.

Me too, I just didnā€™t get it at all.

I found this too! LIke, what are we supposed to believe :woman_shrugging:t2:
I wonder if Homo Deus is even more hypothetical.

Iā€™ve read The Handmaidā€™s Tale and Life of Pi! Both good :ok_hand:t3: not read Cloud Atlas but dear god that trainwreck of a movie :see_no_evil:

Also Kazuo Ishiguro should have rightfully won for Never Let Me Go. If you read The Sea youā€™ll know what I mean :weary: I think Iā€™m not alone in saying that

@brenda a few Singapore writers have been gaining traction worldwide! Excited to see the movie adaptation of Crazy Rich Asians since Constance Wu will be in it (and other SG actors!) and I loved her in Fresh Off the Boat.

1 Like

Dis is a little off the topic but OMG I CANNOT WAIT FOR CRAZY RICH ASIAN. Itā€™s everything Iā€™ve ever wanted :sob:

1 Like

Itā€™s coming out in August!!! Canā€™t wait :raised_hands:t3: I absolutely love the covers of the books btw

I bet Iā€™d be able to finish those books! Cannot waiiiiiiit

We should have a ā€˜what are your favourite booksā€™ thread! What books couldnā€™t you put down?

2 Likes

:eyes: Start it and Iā€™ll be right there with ya! #booklove

Done :slight_smile: