What to do if your card's been lost or stolen

As I mentioned last week, we’ll be moving the existing financial education content we’ve been publishing under “Monzo University” over to the blog, and building new stuff out from there, so everything’s in one place. We’ve christened this new category “How money works”!

You’ll see any new posts published here, including this update of some simple advice on what to do if your card’s been lost or stolen.

These posts are designed to be useful everyone – people who use Monzo, and people who don’t use Monzo yet :wink:

5 Likes

Oh finally, this thread is live! This thread was inaccessible yesterday. :sweat_smile:

The first 50 quid that the customer is liable for , do banks enforce it, or do they give all the money generally?

Thank God I’ve never had to deal with something like that yet.

3 Likes

Quick question.
So I loose my card either at home or more importantly when on holiday.
I freeze it in app asap and order a new card.
My question then is can I still use contactless payment on my phone using my Monzo account?
If not this potentially leaves me penniless.
Thanks

As soon as you freeze your card the phone version will stop working as well. If you defrost it will start working again (you can see this happen now by toggling the freeze option and you should get a notification to tell you your card can’t be used)

2 Likes

Freeze and defrost function is great but you would not want to defrost a frozen cars if it was M.I.A
I guess my point is if I loose my card I loose my ability to pay for anything i.e. holiday disaster! Wouldn’t it be nice if I could still pay via my phone!?

I believe comments have been made along the lines of this is something they’re looking at for the future.

They can post your card out to you on holiday

3 Likes

As the PAN number is blocked when you report a card lost/stolen that prevents digital wallets from working. The card number is usually automatically updated when the new PAN is generated and is usually available before you get the card however there will be a period of time where digital cards can’t be used

What do you do if your phone AND card get stolen / lost? Pitty there’s no phone number to call for lost card, as a backup.

Phone number is on the back of your card (if you want to note it down somewhere just in case) or on Monzo.com in the FAQ section

1 Like

There’s now a basic web interface at https://web.monzo.com/ that will allow you to see transactions/balances and freeze your card, in case your phone and card get stolen :+1:t2:

1 Like

I’ve lost my phone and monzo card, how can I freeze my account!

1 Like

Then I recommend you contact them asap :slight_smile:

You can use the link that @16bitkieran posted, or email help@monzo.com - we also have a phone number that you can use!

2 Likes

I’ve frozen my card as I lost it on holiday but the option to replace the card isn’t given to me. What do I do ?

If the option replace your card doesn’t appear next to the freeze button, contact support in app :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is why I also bank with both Monzo and Nationwide, in the event of a lost card or fraudulent activity.

If the card is lost or stolen, then only the card is blocked and as a Monzo Plus user Google Pay payments can still be used thanks to virtual cards.

However if somehow the whole account was compromised, which can happen then all activity would be suspended until the issue is rectified and I wouldn’t care how long it

I apply this to both Monzo and Nationwide, basically any other bank.