What Black Friday deals did you get?

I’m using a Synology NAS, and currently I’m using their C2 cloud service. [quote=“jph, post:37, topic:86410”]
What do you use to cloud backup NAS-sized amounts of data for a reasonable price?
[/quote]

I’ve got 2TB of ‘backed up’ data, mostly photos/videos going back 10 years, plus a lot of random documents that I’ve never sorted. It’s definitely not ‘data hoarder’ levels of data, but still enough to want it to be secure. (Being a bit selective with what I backed up - there’s plenty of stuff that isn’t the end of the world if I lost it)

I’ve been using Synology’s C2 (I went with their NAS) - and it’s like £6/TB/Month.

Benefit is I can set up a backup frequency and I get ‘time machine’ style history of it.

All the stuff on my phone syncs to my NAS, and 3x a week my NAS backs itself up to the cloud.

It also depends on what you’re backing up and why / how likely you are to access it in future.

I’ve seen plenty recommended that have super cheap upload costs / TB, but very very expensive to download it again. So it seems a good compromise.

1 Like

It was a Synology DS218+. Bought around 6 months ago for about £300.

I spent a lot of time trying to decide between models, and number of bays. I did consider a slightly higher spec’d 4 bay for optimising the RAID set up, but figured I was going a bit overkill.

If I were planning to use it as a media server though, I would have probably gone for the 918+

1 Like

Ah, that’s not going to be an option then! I can’t really afford well over £3,000 a year just for cloud backup!

Synology is good hardware but massively overpriced compared to unraid. Seems the cloud backup ain’t cheap either! Agree though that glacier is also not an affordable option.

rclone seems it will do the job more efficiently and for much much less with the freedom to choose one/many cloud providers.

Thanks anyway :slight_smile:

Ooof, so about 40TB?

Crikey!!

For an amateur who just wanted a backup it works well enough for me, but can see why it’s not The One!

Backblaze B2 product is £5/TB/month, Cons: egress rates, reports of throttling

Wasabi data storage is £5.99/TB/Month, Cons: I think there’s stil a waitlist for EU space due to scaling issues.

I’d recommend either cloudberry or veem to do the backups to backblaze/wasabi

Ahh, looks decent. I’m in a similar situation with a bunch of drives (anything between 250Mb and 500Gb) spread around the place, and piles of (probably decaying) CD-Rs that I’ve already started copying to yet another drive. A NAS coupled with a cloud backup service looks to be a good idea for consolidating everything, so I’ll investigate those options. Thanks :slight_smile:

(If I had to guess, I don’t think I can have more than 8Tb all told, and half of that is probably stuff duplicated across more than the one drive or just plain not worth keeping! But has always been hard to audit properly when multiple drives are involved.)

1 Like

And growing! All amateur stuff but just shooting RAW means it’s a lot every year and that’s before you think about looking at 4K HDR!

Just a handful of shoots a year and it’s not financially viable to backup to the cloud with any provider even if you had the bandwidth to seed.

1 Like

I bought nothing related to Black Friday. Just purchases I would have made with or without the discounts :man_shrugging:

There’s nothing I’ve got my eye on to buy on sale that I haven’t given as a Christmas idea, so I try not to spend at this time of year anywho.

Well if you do go for one, that 8TB hard drive Simon B posted is a good shout :slight_smile:

I had the same issue with all of my stuff. Random drives, some with various OS’s photo libraries… (Picasa, iPhotos and Photo library, and multiple libraries of each), then a load of random photo files with no structure.

The thing I found super useful was just syncing everything to one photo structure and it worked really well.

And did the same for all my iPhone photo libraries - all now in one place.

@jph - depending on your needs, you might be better off with a 2nd, offsite back up to another NAS, rather than a cloud one?

Anyway, gonna stop spamming about NAS now as it’s wayyy of topic.

Yeah, RAW is brutal.

I directed a short documentary earlier this year on a Blackmagic and filled a 10TB just on around half a dozen interviews and some B-Roll.

2 Likes

I have offsite even though it’s a ballache. I want cloud too though.

Have you looked at Backblaze Personal (rather than the B2)

$6/mo, unlimited. Might take some time to upload 40TB… But $6/mo! Apparently it will work on a network drive but I’ve never tried

Edit - or Crashplan?

Thought whole point is it doesn’t work for a NAS?

I looked at

cloud backups
  • 1Fichier
  • Alibaba Cloud
  • Amazon Drive
  • Amazon S3
  • Backblaze B2
  • Box
  • Ceph
  • Citrix ShareFile
  • C14
  • DigitalOcean Spaces
  • Dreamhost
  • Dropbox
  • FTP
  • Google Cloud Storage
  • Google Drive
  • Google Photos
  • HTTP
  • Hubic
  • Jottacloud
  • IBM COS S3
  • Koofr
  • Mail.ru Cloud
  • Memset Memstore
  • Mega
  • Microsoft Azure Blob Storage
  • Microsoft OneDrive
  • Minio
  • Nextcloud
  • OVH
  • OpenDrive
  • Openstack Swift
  • Oracle Cloud Storage
  • ownCloud
  • pCloud
  • premiumize.me
  • put.io
  • QingStor
  • Rackspace Cloud Files
  • rsync.net
  • Scaleway
  • SFTP
  • Wasabi
  • WebDAV
  • Yandex Disk

I’ve saved hundreds off my sky contract. Took less than 10 mins, no hassle, didn’t even matter that I was already in contract with them.

You’ve got less than an hour to call them now, do it already.

3 Likes

Interesting… did you call to cancel to get such a reduction? What Sky service(s) were you contracted into?

Always looking for a way to reduce the necessary evil bills…

I guess it’s this 50% sale? :man_shrugging:

Most of the time if you sign a new 18 month contact they’ll give you a huge discount.

2 Likes

Thanks for this - done some initial digging and I may be able to save a bit (depending on circumstances)

Much appreciated :+1:

1 Like

My black friday staff discount on My Protein was bumped up to 60% off so I got some protein for my brother and my boyfriend for birthdays/christmas gifts, and then managed to get myself some belated birthday presents at Cheshire Oaks which would have been £755 if I’d paid RRP, but were reduced to £280 all in with various outlet and black friday special offers stacked up. I spent my weekend feeling quite smug about my savings, especially as I was able to buy more things I wanted than I’d have been able to afford if I hadn’t have had the discounts :grin:

3 Likes

Mostly fitness related stuff this year and Xmas gifts.

• Got a load of stuff in the Gymshark Blackout sale. (up to 70% off)
  • Bought a 10mm lever belt from StrengthShop to replace my ageing double prong belt (10 years old). 25% off.
  • Apple Watch 44mm series 4 Nike edition, Currys. Selling for £299, which is a solid price considering it isn’t that different to series 5.
  • A few bits from Amazon for Xmas gifts.
  • Bought some Xmas gifts for the wife from Victoria Secret, they were doing 40% off everything in store.
  • A charm and a ring from Pandora again for wife’s Xmas gift, 20% off online store.

I was already paying for everything except cinema, so sky q, all packages except cinema and broadband.

I called to add cinema for Xmas and asked about Black Friday deals. Asked if there was anything available to me considering I’d only re-contracted the tv in August (grabbed a sports offer)

He said don’t worry about that, and re-contracted everything, saving me £45 a month :grin:

3 Likes