What are your all time favourite video games and what are you currently playing?

I was just having a late night chat with one of my fellow night-shift colleagues, Ben about video games and that lead me to the idea of starting this thread!

Some of my all-time favourites:

Sega Mega Drive
Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2 & 3, and Sonic & Knuckles
Toejam & Earl 1 & 2
Streets of Rage 2
Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker
Kid Chameleon
Golden Axe

SNES
Super Mario Kart
The Legend of Zelda : A Link To The Past
Super Mario World

Sega Dreamcast
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Crazy Taxi
Soul Calibur
Sonic Adventure
Jet Set Radio

Nintendo Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Mario Kart Wii
The Legend of Zelda : Skyward Sword

PS4
Uncharted 1, 2, 3 (as a trilogy)
Uncharted 4
Uncharted : The Lost Legacy
The Last of Us
Infamous : Second Son

Others:
The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 3DS, I never had an N64 so only played it in recent years on the 3DS, but this game deserves all the praise it gets)
The Legend of Zelda : A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
Mortal Kombat - I’ve played pretty much every game, from the original all the way through to the most recent one, Mortal Kombat X. For sheer OTTness, MK Armageddon was a lot of fun!

If I had to pick my favourite game of all time, it would be Shenmue 1 & 2. It’s so beautiful, engrossing, and at the time, there was just nothing else like it. There would be no open world genre without it, and I can’t wait for the long awaited Shenmue 3 to come out later this year or early next year (I’ve been waiting 17 years for them to make this game!!!). I am hoping that SEGA will re-release the first two games on a modern platform so that people can play them before jumping into 3 - it’ll be a much better experience than if folks have to just watch cut scenes of the main plot points from the first two games.

As for what I’m currently playing… Yakuza 0 on PS4, after which I’ll jump straight into Yakuza Kiwami, which is the remake of the original Yakuza game. It’s been said many times but Yakuza in many ways is similar to Shenmue.

Aside from Shenmue 3, my other most anticipated game would be The Last of Us Part 2. And I’m hoping to get a Switch at some point so that I can finally play Zelda : Breath of The Wild :grinning:

So… what are your favourites and what are you playing at the moment?

2 Likes

Did you back this on Kickstarter? I cannot wait to get it!!

1 Like

This game > all your games

1 Like

Shenmue will be finished… :open_mouth:? I didn’t know! Might have to get a dreamcast emulator going to play through 1 and 2 again!

1 Like

My favourite “pick up and play” type games were probably Mario Kart: Double Dash on the GameCube and Mario Kart DS on the first gen DS. I used to play the DS one online a lot when I couldn’t sleep!

My favourite all time game is Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I think they managed to capture the epic feel of the original game but in a breath taking modern way (at the time). The sequel, Mankind Divided, is pretty decent IMO but I can understand where the criticism of it comes from - not to mention they set themselves a very high bar. I’m currently distraught that the series has been parked :frowning:

3 Likes

I think this just about sums it up…

And not on PC, my fave game ever is probably Final Fantasy X. Such a wonderful RPG.

I’m also currently playing Undertale (finally) and having an absolute blast :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I did, to the tune of £250 or more as I recall, which is more than I’ve ever backed anything on KS. I played 1 & 2 both on release (and then the version of 2 that came out on the OG Xbox) so I’ve literally been waiting 16/17 years for the third game!

The Shenmue fan community has been really awesome over the years and it’s so amazing that our patience is being rewarded finally :smiling_face:

Gonna get Ryo out of that cave he’s been stuck in for the better part of 2 decades :joy:

3 Likes

I played 1 when I was like… I dunno 10 or 11 probably? At the beginning I had no clue what the hell I was supposed to do or how but over time I came to love playing Space Harrier and being a forklift driver… what a relaxing experience :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Latest addiction is Mario Kart 8!
Anyone fancy a bit of Baby Park!? :star_struck:

I have fond memories of Top Gear 2 on the SNES and Street Fighter 2 (and Turbo). Super Mario 3 on the NES. Also Tetris and Zelda on the Gameboy. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I played this for hours I’m sure, loved it so much! Lately I’ve been playing Horizon Zero Dawn which has been great, and not a lot else.

I game in phases, can go months without picking it up but when I’m in the mood then I’m lost for hours at a time.

1 Like

I was a big World of Warcraft player back in the day. That’s probably still my all time favourite game, not just for the fact the story and content were great, but I met some great friends who I’m still very much in touch with.

My PS4 on the other hand just sits and gathers dust usually. I am however currently playing through the Uncharted trilogy and really enjoying it, albeit very slowly. :grinning:

2 Likes

Nothing beats Elite :+1:

Absolutely revolutionary in its time, not just for gameplay but for the way they hacked the display mode on BBC Micro to display colour on the lower part of the screen.

And the whole thing ran in 32K of RAM. Yes, K, not M!

Dune Rider on the BBC was another good one

It was all about Lander/Zarch when I was a kid:

I used to play games all the time: SNES -> PS1 -> PS2 -> XBOX 360 -> PS4/XBOX One but find I have no time anymore.

I used to love playing the Final Fantasy series but haven’t even taken the shrink-wrap off my Final Fantasy XV Collectors Edition yet.

I find myself playing the Telltale Games at the moment, the short ‘episodes’ seem to work well with the time I have available to actually play the games! Just waiting for Episode 5 of Season 2 of Batman. I’ve played all of them except Guardians of the Galaxy but I’m really looking forward to the last ‘season’ of The Walking Dead.

3 Likes

Mine has to be overall - Ocarina of Time. (Think I must have completed this at least 20 times across N64, Gamecube, Wii, 3DS)
Only one’s that comes close is Shenmue 1&2 (also backed 3, years of checking shenmuedojo every 6 months or so for 12 years came to an end!)

Currently playing when I find the time
Wolfenstein The New Collossus
LA Noire
Super Mario Oddessey
Dragonball Fighter Z

Master System

Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Double Dragon

Mega Drive

All the Sonic’s (even pinball)
SoR2
Golden Axe

SNES

Mario All-Stars + World
Star Fox
LoZ LttP
Super Mario Kart
Donkey Kong Country

Gameboy

Pokemon

N64

Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye 64
Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Perfect Dark
SW - Shadows of the Empire
Lylat Wars
Banjo-Kazooie
Diddy Kong Racing
Turok

PS1

MGS1
GTA
Resident Evil 1 & 2
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
WipeOut
Soul Reaver
Rayman

Dreamcast

Shenmue 1 & 2
Sonic Adventure
Jet Set raddddiooooooo
Crazy Taxi
Chu Chu Rocket (spent countless hours playing online)

Gamecube

Super Mario Sunshine
Zelda The Wind Waker
Super Smash Bros
Luigi’s Mansion
Eternal Darkness (One of the most clever games made)
Star Wars Rogue Squadron

PS2

GTA 3, VC, SA
MGS 2 & 3
Jak & Daxter 1,2,3
Kingdom Hearts
Max Payne 1 & 2
Hitman 1,2,3

Xbox

Halo 1 & 2
Beyond Good and Evil
Project Gotham Racing
Rainbow Six 3 (still the greatest online FPS created IMO)
Star Wars - Knights of the old republic
Jade Empire
Burnout 3
Fable

Xbox 360 & PS3

GTA V
Red Dead Redemption
Bioshock
Skyrim
Mass Effect trilogy
Fallout 3
Batman trilogy
Uncharted trilogy
God of War trilogy
Gears of War trilogy
Fable 2 & 3
Assassin’s Creed 2
Braid
Half Life The Orange Box
Geometry Wars (fun fact:was in the top 10 high-score globally for about 2 years)
The Last of Us
The Witcher 2

XBO, PS4 & Switch

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Oddessey
Wolfenstein
Yazuza 0 & Kiwimi
Assassin’s Creed 4
GTA V
All Uncharted
Ori & the Blind Forest
The Witcher 3
Doom

My mind is melted now and thats only the ones I could think of the top of my head!

2 Likes

Not really a video game as such but I played this every day as a kid on teletext :wink:

imageimage

4 Likes

At one point I managed to “hack” Bamboozle because I discovered that the correct answers were numerically sequential with regards to the 3 digit page codes on Teletext, or there was a pattern, or something along those lines. Lost interest after that :grin:

1 Like

Final Fantasy 7.

6 Likes

Diablo original
Dungeon keeper
Command and conquer
Three vikings
Warcraft original

4 Likes

My all time favorite game is Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X (I think It’s only me playing this game). And now playing Shadez (having the same thoughts)

1 Like