We're working on a new look for the Monzo app

Liking the new version so far!

My feedback for people who don’t use summary vs people who do would be to get rid of the account balance figure above the account name and be able to swipe across on the summary budget widget.

One swipe would show budget / summary features (click to edit) and another swipe would display the account balance and total account balance (including pots)

You’d see one extra transaction and people who don’t use summary like me, don’t have to see it.

1 Like

:loudspeaker:

Please don’t contact customer support with feedback or bugs about the new navigation :no_good_woman:

I know everyone is trying to help and I really appreciate it :hot_coral_heart: If you submit feedback and bugs on this thread it will be quicker for the team working on this to read your comments :white_check_mark:

24 Likes

I don’t seem to have a percentage, only a number, £xx.xx left to spend, 4 days remaining. Is it inconsistent between accounts? :thinking:

It shows a monetary figure of you’ve no monthly budget set.

On :android: here, broadly speaking I think it’s nice, but I have some constructive feedback to add the pile:

• I have an active budget so my summary/budget widget says % left to spend - this isn’t much use for me. I need to work with actual amounts really, so I’d like this changed to £ left to spend.

• [This point is on the assumption that the summary screen being available is an interim measure and could be dropped/replaced with something completely different] Happy to have the summay/budget widget on the home screen, but agree with the point somebody made about it meaning I’ve lost the ‘main’ number I look at. On the summary screen I had a big chunky number that let me know how much cash I have to spare. On the main page now, I have the overall personal account number (which is no use because it includes large amounts of commited spending that come out late in the month) and a small “xx% of £xx budget to spend” figure. So without the summary screen I no longer have anything that tells me how much actual money I have left to spend. Even if the budget widget is changed from % left to £ left, my useful/useable balance number would still very tiny, which is a huge shame as it’s the main thing I look at (as a total aside, this would be solved for me with commited spending pots as my account balance would then become my spendable balance, but I appreciate others use it all differently).

• I also very much miss the days left tracking tag on the budget line… The RAG status is fine, but being able to see that little perpendicular line on the chart showing me at a glance that I’m around a quarter of the way through my month but half way through my spending allowance is one of the key ways I am able to keep tabs on my spending. It’s such a tiny thing but it’s SO SO SO SO SO useful and I genuinely think I’ll be worse at budgeting without it. The days left number in isolation isn’t as visual and also doesn’t help with pacing my spending, particularly in months that are longer between paydays.

• Minor point but having View all in the top left makes it difficult to reach with my thumb if I’m using my phone one-handed, and that’s a tab I look at quite a lot. I also think the name should be something else, as it’s not really viewing all (because it doesn’t include your current actual balance) - I appreciate that’s a semantic argument and not a huge deal.

• The search icon is taking up unnecessary screen space - all that white space to the left of the icon is wasted particularly as you can only tap on the icon, which doesn’t even open a search bar in that gap, it just takes you to another screen. So I think the search icon could go right at the top and free up some space for the feed, which currently feels even more claustrophobic than it did with the pulse.

• Turns out I use the general summary page a lot!

5 Likes

This a million times.

I know we’re all hard-wired differently, but I’m very much a visual person and like the quick glance functionality of a horizontal line depleting as I spend against a mini vertical line representing time.

12 Likes

100% agree. Summary is a brilliant way to tell if you can afford to buy something or not.

2 Likes

Got the new look and really like it.

Happy that you can still get to summary with a long press.

Main feedback…

I think the help and ‘view all’ links should be swapped. I’m going to want to look at my pots more often than the help page and so I think it makes sense for that to have a more prominent place.

How do I go back to the old version? :eyes:

1 Like

:android: User.

Loving the new look overall.

Pots though feel like a second class citizen, and I’ve had to really think and work out how to use them; notably:

• Where do I go to see their balance?
  • How do I transfer money into them?
3 Likes

You contact support but they have said they will only do it once (i.e. you can’t then go back to the new version)

If you don’t like the new version list the reasons here as that will help Monzo develop a better app

3 Likes

Dropping a teaser before the weekend :candy:

The screen with Pots hasn’t changed much in the new navigation, yet. We want to bring significant improvements, and we’ve had a play with some design concepts. In the example below you see an account with a Monzo card, and two connected cards. Different types of objects (current account, credit card, debit card, pot, etc) would always be rendered slightly differently. For example for a credit card you might see your credit limit, current debt, etc. While a debit card might show your available balance.

But conceptually they’d be generic objects that you can order the way you want to, and group the way it makes sense to you. You can see this on the screenshot on the right.

This design doesn’t have Pots but they’d be just another object in that screen, with their own image and balance. These are of course early designs that will probably be implemented very differently. FYI none of this has started development!

32 Likes

Love a good teaser!

Thanks. It’d be unfair of me, I think, to comment too much on the “how” of the pots integration would work - when there is no design or ux shown for that yet. The earlier questions were in response to the problems I had with the activity around Pots, I didn’t understand/know how to view/manage them intuitively and might be symptomatic of the ambiguity of the “View All” button thinking about it more.

Have a good weekend and I look forward to more iterations in the weeks to come!

The concept looks good .

With the new TestFlight :

Pots bugs still there- not updating the balance as it should

I am not getting any notifications. I have even uninstall and installed the app

How about having joint account card and current account card back to back on the main screen . When you choose specific card it can flicker around and that relevant account detail and transactions can pop up

1 Like

I just got the update through. Having used it for a few hours, it personally feels like a step backwards.

The page now feels like it’s missing something. I know this is a WIP, but it very much feels like there could be more to make it better. A couple of early comments:

• View all doesn’t take me to view all, it takes me to view the rest, so I think this needs changing. Perhaps to an icon of some description that shows you’re leaving to view the rest of your pots. Personally, the old way you did this was much better, I thought. You could even just swipe and display the pots like you do the main account?

• You cannot scroll down your payments on the home screen now without first shifting the overlay to the top, which now takes two swipes. One to get the overlay to the top, and another to then scroll the payments

Thanks for the feedback! :bowing_man:

As mentioned a few posts earlier, the View All section is the one that we haven’t given much attention yet. But we have some ideas on how to make it better.

We have an internal version with this fixed. Should make it to the Store some time in the next few weeks, not necessarily in the next release. I appreciate some of these user interactions can make or break the experience, and they’re tricky to get right. I’m confident we’ll get there :muscle:

8 Likes

I’m on the new look and it honestly feels like a ‘lite’ version of Monzo - I understand the desire to simplify but I think it’s sacrificing a lot of what makes Monzo Monzo the process, and making lots of once-simple tasks a couple of taps more difficult.

Hopefully some of the above concerns can be addressed before this is rolled out.

3 Likes

I think it’s clear this is no where near being rolled out yet. Just first version with lots more to add to it.

5 Likes

Presume you mean wider rollout to all two million customers?

In which case I think we’re all in agreement there

Personally I am fine with the new layout already, but it’s a very small self selective set of people involved, as intended

1 Like

Exactly. First rough draft to get some eyes on it and play around. I think view all might make sense when they’ve worked on those screens, but we’ll have to wait and see.

1 Like