We're automating your finances!

Well I’m convinced!

I love how useful IFTTT could be, but just wish there was a bit I could do with it, without having to use Platform / custom code.

I’m hoping whatever this becomes could be a bit smarter than IFTTT, in that you could have multiple actions, or conditional inputs, and do more with the Monzo API than what you can do in IFTTT.

3 Likes

We will definitely be supporting multiple actions, conditional inputs and as many different actions as is feasible! We want to give you the most control possible to build the best scripts.

2 Likes

Also, I would love to see what other ideas are in the “See the 32 other community workflows” bit.

In terms of what you’d be able to automate in the Monzo end is there any list of what you can / cannot do? I’m assuming anything that’s in the API, you could control with this?

And in terms of other services - what’s the limit of connectivity of other apps/products/things?

i.e, could you connect Zapier/IFTTT to this, and then use your app to do more in Monzo (or is that thinking too far?) - in both directions?

I gather from the screen shared, if a service can produce a webhook in it’s API it would link to this… but what else would you anticipate working?

cue ideas

[I ask all this with minimal tech knowledge… Don’t know how these things work behind the curtain as it were]

(Edit: I know it’s early days… Just excited!!)

2 Likes

We’re intentionally not listing all of our ideas - just a couple to show the scope and theme! We wouldn’t want to ruin the surprise on release :wink:

Yup, exactly! You’d be surprised how much scope this does give us though!

There isn’t really a limit per se, as per the original comment we’re already looking at integrating with YNAB to make it easier to do your budgets. We are also looking at IFTTT, Zapier and even Siri Shortcuts as a way to trigger our scripts (via webhooks) or indeed using our triggers to call IFTTT widgets.

We have a lot of ideas with varying third parties – but if you have specific ones we’d love to hear them!

1 Like

Okay, I’ve calmed down slightly now. :wink:

This sounds fantastic. Here are some things I’d really like to be able to do:

• Automate my financial life across accounts. E.g. when I’m paid automatically send money to my savings account and to Monzo pots.
  • Do some more complex calculations (e.g. if I’m paid more than my normal salary then overpay on my mortgage)
  • String together activities that I can do in Monzo but would be easier to do once off. E.g. move money between pots (I select the pots in your app and type the amount then it’s done - I don’t have to worry about transfer from pot one then transfer to pot two etc)
  • Sending money to my Freetrade account when a share price is low - or sending me an alert when the price is high and I should sell.

The key to me is integration between accounts!

Anyway lots of questions to come (how far through are you? What’s the business model? Privacy/legal? AISP/PISP?) but they will do for now!

:hot_coral_heart:

Please hurry and and build this and negotiate it as part of the new Monzo Plus. Kplzthxbye .

2 Likes

:cry:

Definitely all great points, we’ll be sure to take them away and see what we can do! Stringing together activities is definitely doable with our current plan :ok_hand:

Always further behind than you think :wink: We’re making good progress, but making sure we’re building the right things and setting ourselves up for success! It’s easy to run in with a Monzo-only feature set but needing to see the bigger picture.

Nothing has been concretely defined (and I don’t think we necessarily will until we have something to show people. Though initial conversations are around a freemium model - free package which gives decent access but then a small (~£3/m mark maybe?) subscription to get access to so much more.

All been thought through and discussed :smile: Will of course be clearer by the time we have users looking into it.

We are the new Monzo Plus :wink:

3 Likes

That’s fighting talk

4 Likes

Those be fighting words. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Actually, I remember @tom saying that his worry is that someone else comes up with an alternative, better, way of capturing the financial platform market… :thinking::thinking::thinking:)

1 Like

Always too late. :sweat:

1 Like

You get to have fighting talk when you listen to what people want :wink:

Ultimately different products, I get that, but we hope to work well in conjunction with one another. I don’t see Monzo paywalling convenience :smile:

We’re really hoping to deliver a solid package with Unfurler, this, and some other tools - all under one umbrella. (ella ella 'eh 'eh under my umbrella)

3 Likes

I’m super up (or down?) for this. Be it standalone or through a Monzo Premium plan.

:open_umbrella:

It’s still early (-ish) days but we have a lot of plans and a lot of exciting stuff we could build :+1:

1 Like

Hi people, :wave:, I’m also here!

3 Likes

Selectable Personal or Joint Accounts for the service? Or just one?

It will depend on the exact script!

Here’s a small preview of one of the pages, in essence though some scripts which are compatible with multiple accounts (or multiple banks) will let you select which ones you want it to run on. Some will be a single account.

Most will support all accounts though, so business, joint, personal, US, etc.

2 Likes

Are there still some annoying monzo API limitations?

This is all looking so good, and I’m glad to hear that you’re thinking about a business model that will support it. I think a lot of people would be willing to pay a ‘reasonable’ monthly subscription for what sounds like an amazing automation package.

1 Like

I’m afraid you’re going to have to be a little more specific with the limitations you find annoying? Other than the fact there are things we straight up can’t do like add receipts to refunds, or setup bill splits accurately - there is still a tonne of things we can easily do without much trouble.

We have a nice and easy way of getting around Monzo’s receipts limitations - we can’t say too much about this just yet, but I’m very very excited about what we’re going to do in the future.

I’d love to hear what you think is a reasonable amount, and what you’d expect for that! I’ve spoken informally with a couple of people with a few ideas, and seems that our offerings are very ‘reasonable’!

So here are things I would like to do that I’m not currently able to do easily:

• When my salary gets paid, move all of it to a pot, then on the first of the first of the month, sweep everything into a savings pot, and then Auto Sort the salary into the various pots + main account. (Basically what you are proposing + salary sorter, but I want it on the first, not on payday).

• Whenever I spend anything on my AMEX, it moves money to my AMEX pot. (Not currently do able on iOS - may be possibile with TrueLayer for account info getting)

• Do some silly things like, when I receive money, turn my smart light bulb green. etc.

• At the press of a button on my home screen, auto move money from one pot to another. (i.e. my “I didn’t get a coffee today” button)

• I would really love something to help manage my work expenses… I use Concur - so ideal would be. When I categorise a transaction as “expense” AND it has a photo attached, automatically send the receipt image, wrapped with Monzo meta data (e.g a header with all the transaction info) to Concur.

• Bills Pots but for any transaction, in a smarter way than IFTTTs one applet for each merchant.

• Something like calendar based triggers for pot funds moving. (e.g. in google cal I could set up events with specific names / £ amounts, and at the date and time of the event it would move money).

• Whenever I log a workout (in Strava / Apple Workouts / Or just geo-fenced to [Gym Location]) then put £x in a treat pot. (Probably can do this in IFTTT, but not sure about apple workouts)

• Whenever I hit a specific activity goal on my Apple Watch, do a thing.

Some thoughts for now, I’m sure I’ve got more things I’d like to try!

4 Likes

All sounds very doable with what we’ve already scoped out - various triggers will exist so you would just use a time trigger instead of a transaction trigger :smile:

We’re looking into this, it’s unlikely to be in there from day one (TrueLayer is pretty expensive right at the start!) but we’d definitely love to do this in the medium term if there’s interest from our users.

One of the actions is to make a HTTP request - so if you created a widget on IFTTT which was triggered by a webhook and then used Hue (or whatever) to change your bulb then all the systems will talk to each other effectively!

We’re not looking to replace IFTTT in this regard, but make it as easy as possible to interact between the two if necessary.

“Macros” is definitely something we’d look to do once we push out the mobile apps - we’ll be launching web only for a little while in order to develop the platform!

I love this idea! I’ve made a note of it

Yaas! We already had this written down - we’re picturing a merchant filter for transactions where you can select from a list of your most recent.

We have time bound already, but that’s pretty fixed - I’ve written it down but this one is likely to be further out!

This might be one where IFTTT can trigger our flows to do exactly what you want. When we have mobile apps built we might also run some investigations into what (optional) data we can access - it’s not always trivial to get access to your activity goals on iOS!

2 Likes