Verified by Mastercard... In App or via SMS

Sometimes being polite and not demanding pays off.

Especially in customer service situations, where so many people are often so rude and aggressive to staff - I always try to treat them with respect as, even if I am facing a major problem, it’s not their personal fault and I know that taking out my frustration on them won’t help anything.

4 Likes

Completely agree.

I’ve seen people who often conduct themselves well and remain polite, patient, but firm. Until they’re transferred to an operative that sounds like a non-native speaker, and their tone quickly seems to shift to become more sharp and aggressive. I fail to understand why that is, and it sours my opinion of them.

Absolutely 100%.

Having worked in that industry I’ve had my fair share of angry/aggressive customers. I understand why they feel that way but to take out your frustrations on the poor person who is just trying to do their job and has had no involvement in that situation is just wrong.

I’d used to give my staff discount to those who conducted themselves in a mature manner, just as a little extra to say sorry and show that I actually cared. But those who didn’t just got a generic “sorry”.

The thing that use to irk me the most were those who ranted that “I’d put the prices up” - like I have any say in that :rofl:

3 Likes

I do it in-app because i click the notification and it takes me straight to the authorise screen, much less faff.
It’s really annoying that these days almost every retailer needs authorised, it used to be that once you’d shopped somewhere once, future transactions went through ok. Every time I update a Sainsburys online order it re-confirms your card and you have to re-verify. I often book my delivery with my essentails and ask the week goes on add one or two items and check out again.

1 Like

That’s really kind of you!

I hope those customers appreciated it.

I had this yesterday, approved the transaction in-app and failed but left a pending transaction which was happily reverted the same evening.

See my thread Early release of pending payment

With this and the example quoted in my thread that makes three instances, surely worthy of further attention from Monzo, but not sure how it can be flagged?

1 Like

For what it is worth, interpretations of the regulation have evolved over time and especially since then.

I don’t know what the current consensus is on whether SMS is good enough to meet the requirements though.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.