Verified by Mastercard... In App or via SMS

It’s something behind the scenes I think, no other website does it with me and I approve it within seconds. I’ve never once made a successful payment that way yet on the website :rofl:

Must be their fault (not Monzo’s) then!

I was under the impression that whatever happens within the 3D secure box is down to Monzo, I’ll wait and see what they say anyways not like I’ll diagnose the issue with my guesses 🤦

Yeah, probably best to wait and see.

I only have limited understanding of how it works, as I’m not an industry insider (just an interested observer) but I think the transaction is initially passed to the bank for authorisation, they reply to the merchant that they need 3D secure, the merchant redirects to the bank’s 3D secure portal, and then you are supposed to conduct the authorisation.

If successful, a “token” is created that indicates to the merchant that you authorised the transaction. You then get passed back to the merchant, and the token is stored as a cookie. They check this cookie, essentially put it through again (but this time with the authorisation code attached) and it gets processed by the bank before getting an immediate approval as it is “matched” to what was approved before.

That might be a bit wrong, but it’s how it’s supposed to work, I think.

Are you blocking cookies in your browser?

1 Like

Now you mention it… safari by default does prevent cross site tracking. It breaks some things, but surprisingly never occurred to me that it may interfere with 3DS too.

I can speak from experience that it does sometimes interfere with 3DS.

The authentication bit is also often part of an iframe, which can be blocked by overly-aggressive ad blockers sometimes.

1 Like

No nothing blocked on my side, happens trying to pay on various browsers and devices 🤦🤣

OK - was worth a check :wink:

Same problem. Argos card app rather than website

I don’t even try verifying in app now, it just won’t work for them

2 Likes

Interesting.

It definitely seems like Monzo need to get onto Argos, in that case, and tell them to sort it!

3D Secure may be a misnomer, it’s possible they are blocking usage of the card.

Yeah meant to say app does the same an all, forgot about that at I try not to use it for now as it’s just useless :rofl:

We are not legally allowed to provide standalone SMS OPT for the purpose of SCA (it’s a single factor of authentication, not multiple). Ie if someone steals your phone, they can read the message without logging in.

About the small list of retailers we only support SMS for: that’s usually because if you switch out of their app and onto the Monzo app to approve the payment, when you come back, they forget that you were on the payments page and start again… That’s for some of them anyway. We’ve tried approaching multiple merchants about this issue. I have to tell you, merchant acceptance issues are an Odyssey

This list will be removed once SCA is enforced next year

7 Likes

Thanks for clarifying that!

The explanation makes sense to me, and with the rise of SIM-swap fraud it’s probably for the best.

I suppose that, since SMS is not encrypted, it’s also not great to rely on as it would be technically possible for a rouge network employee to intercept your texts if part of a sophisticated fraud.

I accept that the possibly of that is extremely unlikely, but it’s still not great to leave the potential for it open.

I still think that, practically speaking, intercepting an SMS code would still be most likely to occur via some variation on shoulder surfing, and I protect against that by not allowing my phone to display notification contents unless unlocked. But I do see the logic behind the new regulations.

RBS (which means Natwest) has now started moving everyone over to in-app notifications now over SMS saying they wont be using SMS in the future.

4 Likes

Reported my issue in chat and then went to get a screenshot of the error off the Argos card website but the payment decided to go through 🤦 wouldn’t do it in the app still though

So they’re saying it’s a problem with the Argos website which it fair enough, then I get a message saying your complaint isn’t upheld but here have £10 compensation as we didn’t look into your complaint properly the 1st time around.

I never actually raised a complaint just let them know something didn’t appear to be working correctly and they didn’t need to give a credit as the agent passed it straight over to be looked at

Are you going to treat us all to office biscuits then? :grin:

1 Like

Maybe I should complain to chat about stuff, it seems quite lucrative!

2 Likes

If it gets a random tenner then why not, I never complained about it either 🤦 they’ve just decided to log it as one. Never known anything like it to be fair, was just a general hey this doesn’t work on a certain website could you take a look for me.

As it happens it’s a problem at Sainsbury’s end

1 Like

I casually mentioned that I’d been on hold for ages to Wayfair expecting a bit of chit chat about how busy they were while they sorted my order. Instead they just apologised and knocked £100 off there and then.

I was flabbergasted but if they can afford to randomly dish out £100 credits I’m all for it :grin:

3 Likes