Variable Scheduled Payments

(Anthony Humphrey) #1

Not sure if this is a thing, but might be quite nice with scheduled payments to be able to refine the amount of the next payment. E.g. phone or credit card bill which might vary month to month, fairly significantly.

(Nick Slade) #2

Can you go into a bit more detail on this one? I’d love to hear more…

How do you envision this working?

(Nick Taylor) #3

Once something appears in committed spending you could click on it to edit the amount if you know it’s going to be different.

(Anthony Humphrey) #4

E.g. So I have my credit card coming out of my bank. Statement date 22nd, payment around 7th of following month. I get paid on 26th. The amount varies significantly.

So I flag my credit card payment in Monzo as a scheduled payment to repeat monthly on 7th.

Monzo shows an estimate of my committed spend, but on 22nd I know how much of my pay check I need to withhold that month to pay my bill (say £500)

I then go to my committed spending where there is a ghost version of my next payment, which I can then say ‘Hey, this is £500’ which then shows my real committed spending to consider with my next pay check.

Admittedly, I haven’t used this functionality in its current form very much, but I feel like I could get some use out of this. Can’t speak for other users! :grinning:

(Anthony Humphrey) #5

Oh, is this functionality already there? Have I Missed it?

(Nick Taylor) #6

No, that was just a very rough guess at how something like this could work. Seems like a sensible idea to me!

Obviously the best way to do this would be to link your external credit account with Monzo, I believe this is a fairly distant future goal though.