TV Shows!

(James Amey) #146

Voyager is my favourite as well; I’ve met all the cast except Robert Duncan McNeill, Roxann Dawson and Jennifer Lien (but I doubt she will be on the convention circuit for a long time, if ever again).

Orville humour is super hit and miss to me, but I’ve never been a fan of the like of Family Guy which could be a factor. The most recent episode was my favourite and managed to hit the humour/serious balance right I feel.

(All Hail the Almighty Doge) #147

This is actually pretty good, I’m on S01E08

(Simon B) #149

So the BBC have “completed” the legendary unfinished Doctor Who story Shada.

This was a story that never finished filming due to a strike, it was written by Douglas Adams (as in Hitchhikers Guide!).

BBC have finished it with animation and brought back Tom Baker and Lalla Ward to record the missing audio parts!

Looking forward to watching it, there was a version done before with Tom Baker narrating the missing bits but this should be way better.

(All Hail the Almighty Doge) #150

It’s not bad, it kinda has the Luke Cage/Jessica Jones/Iron Fist vibe to it. I think maybe it’s because they are all made Netflix… It’s better than Inhumans and it is miles better than Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. but then that’s not hard now a days, can’t remember the Defenders so that must say something.

Anyone watching godless on netflix? Moody, wonderfully nasty baddies, great photography.

(Caspar Aremi) #152

I tried to watch it with a friend at the weekend but he’s the type of guy who asks questions constantly, despite seeing exactly the same stuff on screen as I have. I did not write it, I did not direct it, I do not have the answers.

Instead we settled into The Sinner which I really enjoyed. It felt a bit like Big Little Lies - you learn in the first episode there’s a crime and you get drip fed all the causes. We watched the whole thing.

(Max Walker) #153

Did anyone else here watch the League of Gentlemen? I can’t believe it’s been 15 years.

Very excited to have it back soon.

(https://youtu.be/5DmYLrxR0Y8) #154

Damn that’s much sooner than I expected. Early Christmas present. Awesome.

I’d like to recommend Future Man as show to watch too. It’s stupid and filthy. Full of references to films and TV shows. Doesn’t take itself at all seriously. Good times.

(All Hail the Almighty Doge) #156

Anyone see this, looks like it is from Hulu so unsure…

(Justin I'Onn) #157

I can’t recommend Halt And Catch Fire enough.

It starts with four people in the late 1970s who want to win the race to create the first mass-market home computer.

You watch their losses and gains from that point onwards, both professionally and personally, up to the early 2000s.

Well, that’s the general back-story, but it’s more about the characters really.

It’s a slow burner, but you really end up caring about these people. There’s no real mystery or intrigue; real life just happens to them along the way.

If you recall thirtysomething in the 1980s, it’s quite reminiscent of that show; except they all work in computing.

It’s on Amazon Prime in the UK. Nobody I know in real life has watched it. It’s sad when the buzz shows like Breaking Bad get all the attention.

Quarry is another great show that was slept on. It had six episodes in its first season (six or seven) but then was never renewed. It was criminally overlooked.

Basically, a Vietnam veteran becomes embroiled in something akin to a temp agency for hitmen - and reluctantly becomes an assassin for hire himself. He believes that he’s only carrying out hits on bad people - so he’s not the usual anti-hero.

It’s all set in the 1970s, and the music and clothes are great. His wife is badass too - she escapes from a one-legged rival hitman in one episode. It’s wild. Haha!

It was on Sky Atlantic at some point. Unsure if it’s on streaming now.

Rectify. Rectify is another slow-burning character study.

A man is released from Death Row, after his conviction is overturned due to… I can’t remember. Haha! It might have been new evidence or flawed evidence.

Anyway. That’s all a McGuffin really. It’s more about how someone whom was locked away as a teenager returns to the world as a middle-aged man.

Rectify really affected me. I don’t think it’s on any UK streaming service at the moment. Buy the DVD box-sets on eBay.

The Leftovers.

The Leftovers is another highly emotional character driven show, even though the central premise is bonkers.

The less you know about The Leftovers before watching it, the better.

Oh. I like some of the shows which had previously been mentioned too - I love Mr. Robot. Scandal is great trash. Riverdale and Dynasty are bubble-gum for the mind - both so well made though.

I’m also loving The Good Doctor, even though it’s so formulaic and mawkish. I cry nearly every week. Hahaha! That’s currently on Living TV - I think past episodes are available via NowTV.

God. I REALLY love The Americans too. I think past episodes are on Amazon Prime UK. One minute you root for the Russian spies, and the next you’re all like: “Please don’t do anything awful that’ll make me hate you.” Ugh!!!

Loved the Twin Peaks revival too.

I’m also loving Star Trek Discovery.

I don’t actually watch all that much TV. Haha!

Oh. I love European crime thrillers too. No Limit on All 4 was great. I Know Who You Are on BBC Four was amazing - so unbelievable and OTT but so well-acted. Blanca Portillo is a GODDESS!!! Witnesses was great last year and this current season is engrossing too. Um… Scandi-noirs. I love them all.

(Eve) #159

New Black Mirror is out- the series is a must-watch!

(Eve) #161

I think they brought in more women this time to be involved with the production of this season- but even then they still messed up and conflated the “plan B” pill with the abortion pill :woman_shrugging:t2: hoping people don’t notice it and believe it’s the same thing

(James Amey) #162

Star Trek: Discovery is back after a break with some of the finest Trek in a while. Really looking forward to next week!

(All Hail the Almighty Doge) #163

Updated list:

24: Legacy
American Dad!
APB
Atlanta
Ballers
Better Call Saul
Beyond
Billions
Black Jesus
Black Lightning
Black-ish
Blue Bloods
Chicago Fire
Chicago Med
Chicago P.D.
Conviction
Designated Survivor
Dice
Dynasty
Empire (2015)
Family Guy
Homeland
House of Cards (2013)
Jessica Jones
Kevin Can Wait
LA to Vegas
Lethal Weapon
Limitless
Lucifer
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
Marvel’s Inhumans
Marvel’s Iron Fist
Marvel’s Luke Cage
Marvel’s Runaways
Marvel’s The Defenders
Marvel’s The Punisher
Modern Family
Narcos
New Girl
Notorious
Power
Ransom
Ray Donovan
S.W.A.T.
Scandal (US)
SEAL Team
Shades of Blue
Shooter
Stranger Things
Strike Back
Suits
The 100
The Blacklist
The Blacklist: Redemption
The Deuce
The Goldbergs
The Mick
The Middle
Timeless
Tin Star
Westworld

(Jon) #164

I’ve just discovered Weeds.

It’s one of those shows that I’ve spotted on Netflix, but never bothered with.

Absolutely loving it now, and binged the first few seasons in a few days.

So after the latest episodes have you changed you opinion. The writers have promised that everything is going to be explained.

So far after the mid season break the show has got 10x better imo.

Also my prediction…
Upon escaping the mirror universe they will end up in the future, post DS9 time period, so that discovery can continue and do fresh new things with the franchise. (I imagine the borg will be wanting some of that spore drive!)

(Simon B) #166

Can’t believe this thread is almost a year old!

Anyway… currently about 4 seasons into Modern Family and can’t believe I didn’t find this show sooner. Hilarious!

(All Hail the Almighty Doge) #167

Started watching this… seems ok so far

Just downloaded all of this so will get on that tonight probably

(Jake Tame) #168

Can anyone recommend some decent comedies…

Some things we have liked

Big Bang Theory
Modern Family
Catastrophe (C4 version)

Things we have not liked

Parks and Recreation
How I met your mother
Chuck
Orange is the new black
Rick and Morty

(Jedihomer Townend) #169

We’ve a few fans of The Good Place on Netflix in our offices here.