Turning off debit card top-ups for new users

Also, I seem to recall some posts s long time ago from someone who liked Monzo so much that they wanted to donate. If the fee was set at slightly higher than break even, people who wanted to could donate to Monzo.

2 Likes

Hi, The reason I won’t be transferring to Monzo as my primary account is probably old fashioned but I’ve had excellent service from this traditional bank for many years and their phone service is one of the best. Without being unkind Monzo and a number of other challenger banks are trying to increase their market share but who knows which ones will still be around 5 years from now? So Monzo’s prepaid card was a useful protected add-on which I have used at home and abroad without worry knowing my main account was isolated and safe. I know it’s much easier now to move but I’m not one for jumping ship every year so unless Monzo’s account gives significant incentives to move why would I?

3 Likes

Are you referring to your bank here?

I’m surprised there are so many people on Monzo (who obviously have the app, and therefore a smart phone), but seem to remark that it’s tricky to transfer money from an older legacy account, to their Monzo account (via bank transfer).

I can only speak for Nationwide and First Direct (although I’m sure most of the mainstream ones are the same), but I’d hazard a guess that I can top up quicker via bank transfer in the app, than I can by debit card.

Perhaps there are banking apps which are simply impossible to use (I’m sure there are some real stinkers!)

5 Likes

Santander’s is awkward. Definitely quicker to use Debit Card top up (I don’t, in order to help reduce Monzo’s costs).

1 Like

But it would be weird to be using an awkward banking app and at the same time state that you’d definitely want to stay with your bank, wouldn’t it?

That’s what I thought, anyway.

9 Likes

Really? I thought with the addition of touch ID doing a transfer could be accomplished in like 4 taps. I have used absolutely horrible banking apps that need a token to do anything beyond checking your balance :weary:

4 Likes

Touch ID has helped.

It’s not really the number of taps which is the problem; I haven’t counted them. It’s the amount of time between taps, compared with Debit Card top up.

1. Open the app
  2. Wait for Touch ID
  3. Touch
  4. Wait for accounts to load
  5. Choose ‘Pay’
  6. Choose account to pay from
  7. Open Payees screen
  8. Scroll to bottom
  9. Scroll again
  10. Wait for screen to stop bouncing
  11. Choose my Monzo account
  12. Input amount
  13. Choose send
  14. Choose confirm

It usually takes longer to do all that than it takes for the money to arrive!

4 Likes

And also depending on which legacy bank you have you may need to wait for the flipping chicken.

6 Likes

Barclays do this: Even if you only have one account, you still have to select it to make a payment.

You’re in the account, tap ‘make a payment’ then you have to select the account again!

Why???

Lazy UI. Grrrrrr.

5 Likes

You should turn it off for all users.

Having a consistent interface is important going forward. Startups sometimes make the mistake of keeping too much legacy stuff thinking users will run away but it’s not true and causes issues in the future. Most users will go full Monzo or at the very least setup a standing order.

1 Like

I don’t actually care for the “top–up” function as I was always a bank transfer guy, but differently to the controversial foreign ATM fee change, Monzo made a promise that those who upgraded from pre–pay could use their accounts in exactly the same way. I see no reason why the cost of top–ups weren’t known before the upgrade, so it seems unethical to renege on that promise three months after pre–pay ended.

Folk used the ‘bait and switch’ argument in regards to the ATM discussion, unfairly in my opinion, but this would definitely feel like that, so I’m glad it won’t change for upgraders.

But that said, people, why do you need top–up? It has not been available on any bank account until two years ago, how is it so indispensable now? Do a bank transfer and just call it “paying in”.

12 Likes

Most people didn’t have instant notifications on their bank account until two years ago and I find those pretty indispensable now.

NB: I realise that instant notifications are a different situation because it doesn’t cost Monzo loads to do them - they’re just an example of something we didn’t have two years ago that people find indispensable now.

Personally, I don’t see how removing card top-ups entirely is more beneficial than keeping them and either charging users for the cost of their use or Monzo making a slight profit on each top-up so long as any fees are transparent, like in international transfers, and customers are reminded that they can perform a bank transfer for free when they go to use a top-up.

2 Likes

For what’s it’s worth, I disagree.

1 Like

I don’t think notifications and top–ups are comparable. The former is a genuine, useful innovation for a bank account. The latter is just another way of doing something you’ve always been able to do for free, which costs more.

Anyone who insists on using top–ups, and paying for it, when the existing method has existed for years, and is no more onerous than a couple of taps, needs their common sense reset. I mean, soon it’ll even be cheaper to write yourself a cheque and scan it into Monzo than it will be to top–up.

I feel sorry for Monzo a little bit. In the rush to assure people that nothing bad would happen when they converted from pre–pay, they’ve ended up with a moral liability which costs them the difference between profitability and loss, and which no–one really needs anyway.

13 Likes

I agree with this - as a company you can’t keep reneging on promises without losing all credibility, so you need to assess the future implications of your commitments before you make them.

I would expect monzo to have reasonable models of their users, else how do you know you will be profitable?

3 Likes

People pay to do things quicker and easier, when they could take a little longer to get them for free, all the time (eg: taking a train instead of a coach).

Like I mentioned in my previous post, what about people who don’t have/can’t access their mobile or internet banking?

This will only be true in the 1st quarter of 2019 at the earliest, would take much longer than card top-ups and isn’t useful to people who don’t carry check books around all the time.

I completely understand the view that it seems silly for people to pay to use card top-ups, but I can see cases where it would be necessary. Monzo’s mission statement is “Monzo makes money work for everyone”.

I’m also confused as to why people want to remove card top-ups completely and object to having card + fee top-ups. As far as I can tell (please tell me if I’m wrong), keeping card top-ups with a fee in the app requires negligible developer time spent on maintenance and would cost Monzo’s nothing (or maybe net them a profit).

Basically, I can’t figure out a reason why completely removing card top-ups is the better option.

3 Likes

I do actually wonder how many banks don’t have some form of internet/mobile banking?

I think this comes back to the rules of debit/credit card charges (which I mentioned on this thread a while back).

Basically, you’re not allowed to charge for debit card transactions… BUT you can add an ‘Admin or Booking free’ as long as they also apply to other forms of payment.

So arguably, Monzo would have to add fee’s onto all forms of ‘topping up’ for everyone (if i’ve understood the rules correctly).

3 Likes

If this is the case, I’d rather Monzo removed card top-ups and kept monzo.me free (I think monzo.me is the only other form of ‘topping up’ currently available on Monzo), otherwise I see no reason not to keep card top-ups.

Hopefully someone working for Monzo can fill us in on what these rules mean for card top-ups and monzo.me.

1 Like

So a top–up would save you, what, ten seconds?

How do you complete a top–up from the Monzo app if you don’t have access to your phone?

Of course I’m not arguing writing and scanning yourself a cheque as a viable alternative to top–ups, but was merely pointing out the ludicrousness of charging for one method whilst the other ‘outdated’ method is free.

In my original post I agree Monzo shouldn’t remove the top–up function for those who already have it. What I don’t understand is those arguing so vehemently to keep something which costs money when a free (and admit it, just as simple to do) alternative already exists.

Without wishing to be offensive, but to labour the point, anyone who continued to insist on doing anything which costs them money, when the same could be achieved for free for no extra effort (couple of taps, really) is, in my humble opinion, a moron. Monzo, yeah, give people the choice. But for people to argue they want that kind of choice… nah I don’t buy it.

but awj dean is saying keep top ups but charge a fee aren’t they ???

"keeping card top-ups with a fee in the app requires negligible developer time "

1 Like