Transaction done but not by me

I had a notification that 95p was spent on my card at a local Coop store but I was miles away at that time so it wasn’t me. On the same day five transaction for just over £13 payable to the same internet company were attempted but all declined as there wasn’t sufficient funds on the card. Again it wasn’t me making these payments.

How could someone spend 95p on my card when I had the card on me and was miles away from where the transaction occurred?

Best to contact Monzo via in-app chat. They will be able to take a close look and should be able to quickly sort this out.

1 Like

Bank cards can easily be cloned or details used as offline or ‘card not present’ transactions. With monzo you have the tools to fight fraud better than any other bank (instant notifications to alert you of someone else using your account, ability to freeze card immediately and quickly flag the issue to support to get it cancelled and get a new one in the post right away). If you do those things you will get refunded and the fraudsters will not get away with any more.

1 Like

@Mikeee Hey Mike, did you manage to get in touch with support regarding this? Let me know if I can help, I’ve just sent you a PM.

I have chatted with support. Looks like a transaction that was done a few weeks ago but only just came through on the statement.

1 Like

That’s logical but actually, they do & will continue to do so once the current accounts launch -

Fortunately the exposure is relatively small, as there are only a few merchants whose offline transactions are allowed (airlines & TFL etc.), while some others aren’t (car park meters & toll booths etc.). Presumably most users want to continue using their Monzo cards so they pay off any negative balance that they manage to incur as a result too.

1 Like

Interesting - how does it actually work then? Offline means the terminal can’t ask Monzo whether it’s allowed to process a transaction, so how does the terminal tell whether Monzo will allow its transaction to go through ? Does EMV have a standard way for a card to tell a terminal which categories/merchants (airlines, transports, etc) are allowed offline and which are not? I always thought that offline was just a flag the card tells to the reader whether it’s allowed to do offline transactions, with no way to narrow it down to specific merchants.

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t know how that works, that’s just the behaviour that users have observed.

Monzo detailed the transaction process (including offline transactions but didn’t answer that question), here -