To Use Monzo On More Than One Apple Device

That’s frustrating. Unfortunately I’m not very knowledgeable of Android devices so I can’t come up with anything else.

@Aussiebumwearer I don’t find there is any need to re-authenticate in either app. It just seems to work on both without the problems you describe [ maybe my experience is an Android-first feature :fearful: ]

When I sign in on another android device I get signed out on the first immediately.

1 Like

yep, same here…unfortunately

@andy1 and @anon44204028 Ah I wonder if it is because I am using the app on two different platforms - one on iOS and one on Android. I can use both concurrently.

Maybe the authentication schema isn’t shared between Android and iOS? Very weird. Sounds like we may have identified a security vulnerability, if the intention is to only have one app authenticated at a time for each account.

Judging by James’ comments here :arrow_down: this is something that Monzo wants to manage but only restrict where absolutely necessary

Monzo are aware of this, the fact that it’s possible has been mentioned here -

& here -

but it’s good that you mentioned it, just in case :thumbsup: If you still have concerns, I’d recommend replying to James’ comment, to make sure that he sees your questions.

1 Like

yes it is because they are using different OS

That seems counterintuitive to me. If you can’t login on two Android/iOS devices then you shouldn’t be able to login on a mixture.

1 Like

Agree. Whatever the intended functionality is now (or in the future), it should be consistent. I’ll report it as a security vulnerability under the “bugs” category.

The intended functionality is, currently, one session per app implementation.

it should be per user not per particular app installation as that is currently forcing us to only use it on one device when we should be able to install the app on multiple devices so we can access via whichever device we have with us that day…or whichever happens to have battery life assuming our phone battery can’t last a whole day and may be flat and awaiting to get to a location where we can recharge it

3 Likes

Coming late to this thread… I’m about to travel to Serbia where roaming charges are very high, so was planning to take an unlocked iPhone 4 for use with a Serbian SIM, as well as my UK iPhone 6S which I currently use for Monzo, but won’t be enabling for data roaming. How do I go about temporarily switching across to the '4 to use that for notifications and top-ups? Can I just log out on the '6 and log in on the '4? Or can I stay logged in on both? (I don’t mind losing the '6’s touch ID during the trip.)

The Monzo app requires iOS 9 or later. I believe the oldest iPhone that supports iOS 9 is the 4S.

Sorry, yes, I should have checked. (I was just googling it now.) So, scratch that plan - will have to top-up using local wi-fi.

Oh, actually I do have a 4S so may be OK. Will try the install tonight.

I don’t know iOS, but on Android it’s possible to set up one phone as wifi hotspot for another phone. That’s what I did in Morocco, old nokia was my wifi hotspot (nokia had 4g or something itself and used that to provide wifi). Nokia had good battery life.
Nexus phone was connected and had ‘normal’ wifi connection.

Sounds like a hassle, but there are other benefits - most notably other friends/family with you can use same hotspot. Disabling mobile data on main phone saves battery.

I believe something similar should be doable on iOS.

Yes. Mobile hotspot on iOS. Use it all the time, very handy feature although some networks block its use somehow so have to check that the SIM card allows it

This topic got off topic!

While it’s great that currently people with mixed OS devices can log in. Many, if not most people stick with the same OS so this issue applies equally to users of solely Apple or Android.

I know personally it’s frustrating as ONLY Monzo does not allow this, even other new internet based banks allow it. Monzo stands alone.

Let’s cut to the chase. If 99% of other banks apps allow you to login from at least two devices on the same OR different operating systems, why doesn’t Monzo…and should this not be addressed?

2 Likes

To take this one step further - I would love to see a slightly different version for tablets or for a website: for example, on the larger screen of a tablet or website i’d like more details on the transaction history, maybe with graphs for different categories etc.
The current mobile app is great for daily use, but trying to look back at my spending history would be so much easier on a larger screen with more information displayed, and the views optimised for the larger screen.

4 Likes

Just discussing this in another thread, I can’t believe someone decided it was sensible or good customer service to be so restrictive.

As someone who has been using Starling (3 registered devices can use the app/account) where you simply log in to any of the registered devices as required that I thought the way the app forces you to re-register via email every time you log into a second device was a bug.

Please Monzo, make this more user friendly, there’s no need to be so draconian, it’s not a security issue when every other bank (including the other mobile only bank) allow a minimum of 3 registered devices.

I would really really love to see an iPad app for Monzo. :pray::pray::pray:

I’d be happy with the same features, although with the extra screen real estate it would be cool to use that space for an extra good summary tab, or graphs on various measures to show month to month how you are doing etc.