Tipping in the UK

Well, we are hiring :grinning:

:arrow_right: Careers at Monzo

2 Likes

Servers shouldn’t have to rely on tips to get decent pay in certain places. I’ve heard some employers are secretly relying on tips as a way of paying staff less than they deserve.
So in a sense tipping is contributing to a problem?

4 Likes

This is it. We shouldn’t be guilted into tipping, it should be a genuine response to exceptional service - beyond what you’d normally expect.

It should be banned, along with kicking anyone out who asks the waiter ‘can I get a …’ - it’s fine, (s)he’ll get it for you, that’s why (s)he is there.

5 Likes

What do you do then? Just shout “PIE!” and “BEER!”? Doesn’t hurt to be polite.

3 Likes

It’s ‘can I have…’

3 Likes

I would only feel guilty if I’d been given great service and chose not to tip. Why feel guilty if someone has given crap service?

I usually do tip, it would take something bad to prevent me from doing it… one thing though I find is how some eateries a tip is “expected” whereas some it isn’t… for example McDonalds table service vs Frankie & Bennys… it’s similar to grocery deliveries vs a takeaway…

There’s no common expectation across the board so it’s all down to personal choice…

It’s not the crap service, I can deal with that. It’s the service that should really be the default - but still the tip box is open when they give you the bill.

I thought it was just an expression, like a British thing to be roundabout when talking about anything? If I ordered a cup of tea in the UK I would say something like: “Hiya! Could I get a cup of tea please? And maybe a slice of that cake?”

If I ordered in a hawker centre in Singapore and I tried speaking like that I’d get the auntie getting irritated and demanding “HUH? What you want?” It’s more of a shout “One KOPI O!” (coffee) over the table. We’re very concise.

5 Likes

Yeah, I hear you.

1 Like

‘Can I get’ is an american import. We used to say ‘can I have’ or more correctly ‘may I have’ or ‘I would like’ etc.

‘Get’ does not mean ‘have’, so if you ask ‘Can I get’ you are actually asking if you can go and get it.

5 Likes

I tip out of guilt mostly, I am not saying its right, its just the way it is.

However it does raise an interesting question around the effect of not tipping in the US market. Most employers use tips to top up server wages. However by continuing to tip only perpetuates this problem of employers using these to subsidize normal living wages for servers. So it is a difficult problem to solve since the push for reform by boycotting tipping only has the effect of doing hard working individuals out of money in the short term.

People got bills to pay and mouths to feed!!

2 Likes

The most stressful thing for me about going on holiday is worrying about tipping. It seems to be fairly standard in most countries to do it. Maybe Monzo can give helpful suggestions on tip amounts based on where I am!

2 Likes

When I arrive in a new country I think Monzo send me a push notification saying welcome and then giving me the rundown on the exchange? Having these useful insights around travel, culture and etiquette would be great here.

5 Likes

I don’t tip. The way I see it tipping is just making an employer profit. They can cut down on what they offer because you are getting tips.

1 Like

Amazon prime now used to include a £2 tip automatically, they since removed that because they now apparently pay a reasonable rate to the the prime now drivers. That’s how it should be.

The only times I’ll typically tip now is in a restaurant if the card machine lets me and I received very good service, stopped tipping hair dressers last year and taxis when Uber launched in Glasgow.

Abroad it varies place to place, in US tipping is pretty much just another tax these days so I just pay whatever they stick on the bill to keep them quiet and semi happy

2 Likes

I always tip unless the service has been very bad! Maybe it’s just as I work in the hospitality industry. Generally most serving staff are on minimum wage, regardless of experience, which is as low as £4.20/hour.

1 Like

:joy::rofl:

I had a very uncomfortable experience in NYC when I popped in to get a slice of cheese cake and didn’t tip. Anyone would have thought I lifted money directly from the till.

3 Likes

Oh god they will actually chase after you if you don’t tip there! Most people just take the total tax and double it for the tip